heating oil hits a record average of $4.35 on Long Island

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when is this craziness going to end
When people stop paying for it. Until then, it will keep on keepin' on........
Look, the only reason that people pay it is because in reality, they see a value in it. I do not mean to suggest that people who pay it, like it, or that they think it is a bargain. But the value in paying it outweighs not buying it and having their pipes freeze or living ( or existing) in a freezing abode. We all have to assume that people who "pay it" do so after considering and weighing their options, and still make the informed deciosin to "pay it." When will it become so expensive that people will stop "paying it?" We don't know, because we have not yet hit the price ceiling. The higest that we have seen the price of oil go, is high enough to piss people off, bitoh and moan about the price, and threaten to "not pay it."....but at the end of the day, they still "pay it." We're all guilty, whether it is heating oil, gasoline, or the vast array of petrolium products, ie. plastics and jelllies etc.

Reactions: PoolGuyinCT
wouldn't know I have a pellet stove that heats my house I paid 3.60 a gallon in october for a 100 gallons (used for hot water) and filled me half way up went to the basement yesterday and just under a half tank left. But my house has been a steady 70 - 73 degrees and like McDonalds "I am LOVIN it"

I see many of the people on this site just use oil for hot water but 3 years ago I put in a 50 gallon electric water heater cost about $350 + installation.I have not had an oil delivery since then its probably the best route to go.

I see many of the people on this site just use oil for hot water but 3 years ago I put in a 50 gallon electric water heater cost about $350 + installation.I have not had an oil delivery since then its probably the best route to go.

I am looking at on demand hot water heaters with no storage tanks but they are expensive but in the long run worth the extra money to not heat up stored water and when it cools down reheat the water.

I paid $422 for a 100 gallons in late November (just to heat water)
I pay that for my truck diesel and that has all the DOT taxes. And its cleaner.
I am so glad I severed the umbilical cord of oil.
I finally hooked up my indirect DHW. No more oil for me !!!!!

Reactions: glenc0322
well i paid 3.57 on jan 3 for 125 gal .looked and i have below 1/4 tank i have my grandkids and i told them they have to take a shower every other day ,i kid pretty soon iam going to take off the bathromm door on him ,only use oil for hw ,new price 3.70 gal .

It would be alot cheaper to install an electric water heater and finally be done with heating oil.
looking into that not sure if I want a whole house unit or seperate units for both bathrooms and kitchen I want to get a tankless unit. Still undecided

Nice! I am on LI too- suffolk near LIE 60 ..where are you?
what kind of water heater did you buy? who installed for you? maybe I will do the same here.
Thanks

I hear the tankless are more expensive and you may have to upgrade your wiring to get adequate power but they are more efficient.But which ever way you go its better than heating the water with oil.After I put in the tank my electric bill went up maybe $30

Nice! I am on LI too- suffolk near LIE 60 ..where are you?
what kind of water heater did you buy? who installed for you? maybe I will do the same here.
Thanks
better off with a tankless unit so you are not heating stored water just when you use it but a whole house can run from 600-1000 and need an electrician to hook up which for me is no problem because I am an electrician

better off with a tankless unit so you are not heating stored water just when you use it but a whole house can run from 600-1000 and need an electrician to hook up which for me is no problem because I am an electrician
Thanks----what brand do you think is ok?

I hear the tankless are more expensive and you may have to upgrade your wiring to get adequate power but they are more efficient.But which ever way you go its better than heating the water with oil.After I put in the tank my electric bill went up maybe $30[/quot
ok thanks..... did u say electric went up 30/mth for the whole year(12 mths= 360 more) ?

Reactions: briansol
And you all complain at that cost. Diesel is averaging $4.28.9 up here in the Northwest, and we are told of the shortage for heating oil over there so we have to pay more. I get 5.7 mpg avg per month in my Pete and frate rates sure dont go up to match higher fuel oil prices.

just started researching it home desperate has one that has good reviews
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203210874/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=electric tankless hot water&storeId=10051#.UR_f3x2mi8E

and this one http://www.westsidewholesale.com/plumbing/tankless-water-heaters/eemax/eemax-ss023240tc.html
You need to size it to your house but I am sick of hearing my boiler fire up at 12 at night just to heat hot water that I am not going to use

The Stiebel ones seem to have the best reviews. Those are 100 amps at least the first link, thats a lot for 200 amp service if you have a stove and dryer that are also electric. I'm in the process of putting in a 85 gallon electric hot water tank. I spent some time researching the instant on ones, I just wasn't sold on the savings or reliability of them. That and I don't have the electrical service I do have 200 amp service but a fair amount of electric heat.

The Stiebel ones seem to have the best reviews. Those are 100 amps at least the first link, thats a lot for 200 amp service if you have a stove and dryer that are also electric. I'm in the process of putting in a 85 gallon electric hot water tank. I spent some time researching the instant on ones, I just wasn't sold on the savings or reliability of them. That and I don't have the electrical service I do have 200 amp service but a fair amount of electric heat.

I agree,.to take water from 40 to 110 instantly will require an element that that will cycle alot. Hell most people here worry about using the igniter on their stove with a thermostat because of failures due to frequent use. The cost to install and wire seems to be counter intutive and I believe the element will scale up rather quickly and lose efficency.I think the flow is less than most people are used to also.

Had an electric hot water heater for many many years now. Are electric bill usually runs around one hundred bucks a month and haven't had to buy oil going on the third year now. Just turn it on for about fifteen minutes every morning to take the chill off then let the Harman XXV do its thing.

My 110 gallon marathon electric plastic water bottle cost about 800. Used to use off peak electric and it still cost over 40 a month. Sidearm exchanger now so heating with pellets. Savings will buy a ton or more pellets in the winter. Have grumman solar panel to install to heat in summer I hope.

And you all complain at that cost. Diesel is averaging $4.28.9 up here in the Northwest, and we are told of the shortage for heating oil over there so we have to pay more. I get 5.7 mpg avg per month in my Pete and frate rates sure dont go up to match higher fuel oil prices.

I'm in the same boat... $4.24 here in WI and I just paid an $8300.00 bill at the Caterpillar hospital so now I'm REALLY broke! On average I'm spending $1800.00 per week on diesel fuel and the fuel surcharges we get don't cover the increased costs...

It would be nice if the DA's in Washington would do more than just flap their jaws...

It would be alot cheaper to install an electric water heater and finally be done with heating oil.

My oil heats just the water. I am at about 1/4 of a tank now. I have been contemplating an electric WH. Now that oil is $3.90 here, the decision has been made. I'm going to use that $500 it would cost for 125 gallons of oil and put it towards an electric WH. All the number crunching I have done on this how's electric will be cheaper.

Reactions: Thaddius Wenderoth
My oil heats just the water. I am at about 1/4 of a tank now. I have been contemplating an electric WH. Now that oil is $3.90 here, the decision has been made. I'm going to use that $500 it would cost for 125 gallons of oil and put it towards an electric WH. All the number crunching I have done on this how's electric will be cheaper.
I have been considering the GE hybrid electric heater as I can get $750.00 back from Nstar but it has to be installed by a professional plumber.. I would plumb it to still go through the furnace so if the furnace was on it would preheat the water(a bypass would be good for power outage too) plus a small generator could run the furnace for hot water in a power outage but not an electric hot water tank.. Electric rates are high here so it's hard to determine if this really save me much if anything..

Good Luck,'
Ray

Oil, Wha dat? Been weened since '94'. On a sad note, When oil goes all goofy. Be prepared to see pellets prices get goofy too.

Oil, Wha dat? Been weened since '94'. On a sad note, When oil goes all goofy. Be prepared to see pellets prices get goofy too.
I think wood might have an advantage there because it's not as tightly indexed to the price of oil (maybe because of all the work involved :) )

I put in a 40 gallon electric water heater a few months ago. I think/hope I'm saving money over oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.