Heating Oil Lawsuit - Biodiesel blending

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
An oil dealer is being sued for blending biodiesel in heating oil without telling customers

Blending in biodiesel with heating oil is coming. The problem is if it is done too aggressively if can raise havoc with older heating systems as the biodiesel acts as a solvent to break up accumulated sludge that has built up in the system. There are usually flexible hoses attached to the pump on the burner and they may not be compatible with the biodiesel. Most suggestions I have read is when switching to higher blends that the customers may want to change out the oil tank to get rid of the accumulated sludge and deposits.

Biodiesel also has a lower Btu content by about 7%. It used to be more expensive than #2 but apparently with the credits the dealer got, it was cheaper to blend it in.

Reactions: semipro
I mixed some with kerosene in my Kero heater. It immediately plugged the wick.