Heating Oil was at $1.85 a gallon, It's on the rise again!!! $2.09 today http://www.cashoil.com/

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lessoil said:
Let's see.....
We bought the pellet stove when oil was $4.85/gal.
We bought 200 gals for $4.00/gal in July. ($800)
We spent $1200 for 4 tons of pellets which should get us through the Winter.
If we burn the $800 worth of oil in the tank then get another 500 gals for $2.00/gal our total cost
this Winter would be $1800 for oil.

We will burn pellets for heat and not use the oil other than for hot water!!
OPEC/Oil companies have lost me as a customer!! (For Heat)
I just keep telling myself that this was a long term investment and not just for this year.

I totally agree!! :)

Since this is my first Pellet Insert, I am going to burn it, but I really never intended for it to heat the whole house. I am locked in at 2.89 cents per gallon for propane, so even it it goes down in price I am stuck with the price and I have already pre paid for this heating season, with that said, my hope is when the Southern States comes by to do the fill up I will be using less propane, doing my part or at least helping to reduce the amount of money I place in the hands of those oversea people.

To be honest I like the heat better, I know heat is heat but it feels warmer, and I can back by butt up against the insert and get warm all over unlike having to stand over a vent. I also enjoy watching it burn, sometimes I find I watch the insert burn and forget about the TV. Unless pellets really increse in price I will be burning them for a long time to come.

Here in New York heating oil is still more expensive than it was last year, even though the price of crude has taken a steep drop. Anywhere east of Rochester it's still over $3 per gallon.

http://www.nyserda.org/Energy_Information/nyepd.asp

I need oil for DHW, keep waiting for it to drop so I can fill the tank but currently the heating oil dealers are charging the same as diesel fuel at the gas station. Just makes you want to grumble at somebody....

I have four tons of pellets, well I probably burned 1/2 a ton already but I just bought 100 gallons of oil for $225.00 and will buy another 100 gallons when it goes a little lower. I will keep on burning my pellets and I will use the oil to run the boiler for hot water. If the pellets come down and get really cheap I will buy as many as I can get my hands on so that I can be king of the pellet pigs lol.

Steveo said:
If the pellets come down and get really cheap I will buy as many as I can get my hands on so that I can be king of the pellet pigs lol.

LOL :lol:

I was just cleaning mine and the Oil Truck turned up. $2.55 if I pay within 5 days. He only got 95 gallons in. Havent had a delivery that small in 7 years.

I'm pretty low on oil and getting my tank filled today @ $2.59/gal. Will be used for DHW only.

Steveo said:
I have four tons of pellets........If the pellets come down and get really cheap I will buy as many as I can get my hands on so that I can be king of the pellet pigs lol.

Go for it Steveo...LOL...the throne is open. I think eernest4 doesn't want the job after all. :lol:

Never going back!

could be worse...

my oil tank is full of $5 oil. (yeah, thats right. I think the @%$*@s filled it the very day that oil topped 147/barrel). filled in May or June...which of course, means that I haven't burned very much yet. So now that oil is down to $2, can I stock up? NOOOoooo. my tank is nearly full. got no place to put it. Maybe I can get them to bring it to me in cans, so I can make stacks and piles of them in every spare nook and cranny of the house, like I did w/ the 3 tons of pellets in the basement. :mad:

current local price is 2.79 a gallon...thats a bit higher than it was when I decided that I need
a cheaper method and went to pellets...so It will have to drop down near 2 bucks a gallon before I'll buy more..
I've used about a cup this year so far..when I turned the furnace on..and verified all was good, then turned it back off..and am burning the pellets I have on hand.

The correct answer should be never. By not using oil you are not driving up the price. Part of the price drop is the drop of world consumption. By continuing to use Pellets you are supporting local business, yes I know the trucks that carry the pellets use fuel but so does the truck that brings you heating oil.

I burn 1 bag of pellets a day cost $5. When I use oil I burn 5 to 7 gallons a day, granted I am only heating the downstairs and the upstairs is cold with the stove.
So if I was to use oil only it would cost me say 6 x $2.29=$13.74 per day as oppossed to $5 for the pellets. I do turn on the oil heat for maybe a half hour before the kids go to bed to take the chill out of the upstairs once it gets warm I turn off the furnance, I think this is the most economical way to heat now you have even heat through out the house and you have burnt 1/2 a gallon of oil

Terrier Lady said:
Here in New York heating oil is still more expensive than it was last year, even though the price of crude has taken a steep drop. Anywhere east of Rochester it's still over $3 per gallon.

http://www.nyserda.org/Energy_Information/nyepd.asp

I need oil for DHW, keep waiting for it to drop so I can fill the tank but currently the heating oil dealers are charging the same as diesel fuel at the gas station. Just makes you want to grumble at somebody....

Up here in in the land of skyhigh taxes the local price is now $2.79 for oil. Lets see, the price of a barrel has dropped like a stone recently and yet they finally had the decency to drop the gas down from $2.89. Something smells really bad here. Last night the price of wholesale unleaded gas at the rack in Montreal where it all comes from was $1.9ty something. Why so damned high for oil. I turn my Peerless boiler on a couple times a day to fill the hot water tank and that's it. It looks like I will be continuing that tradition. I have been burning diesel in 5 gallon cans for the past 2 months which I am going to continue. What a rip off!!!!!!!!!!

cac4 said:
could be worse...

my oil tank is full of $5 oil. (yeah, thats right. I think the @%$*@s filled it the very day that oil topped 147/barrel). filled in May or June...which of course, means that I haven't burned very much yet. So now that oil is down to $2, can I stock up? NOOOoooo. my tank is nearly full. got no place to put it. Maybe I can get them to bring it to me in cans, so I can make stacks and piles of them in every spare nook and cranny of the house, like I did w/ the 3 tons of pellets in the basement. :mad:

Time for a second tank, in Maine we are allowed 3- 330 gallon tanks in the cellar.

I know this is a pellet thread and I'm a wood stove owner but my wood is free so...

ksting said:
I know this is a pellet thread and I'm a wood stove owner but my wood is free so...

Hey KO do the trees fall down, age, cut, split and transport themselves to your stove. If they do, than your fuel is truly free.

itworks said:
ksting said:

Hey KO do the trees fall down, age, cut, split and transport themselves to your stove. If they do, than your fuel is truly free.

All it costs me is my time and the exorcise helps to burn calories!! :)

P.S.
I'm sure I'll end up with a Pellet stove eventually but right now I'm happy with the semi-free wood!

ksting said:
itworks said:
ksting said:

All it costs me is my time and the exorcise helps to burn calories!! :)

P.S.
I'm sure I'll end up with a Pellet stove eventually but right now I'm happy with the semi-free wood!

If you do switch to a pellet stove, and you can continue to exorcise your fuel, then once again you'll continue to have semi-free fuel

P.P.S

Please don't take offense, I'm just havin a bit of fun after a very tough week

Driz said:
Up here in in the land of skyhigh taxes the local price is now $2.79 for oil. Lets see, the price of a barrel has dropped like a stone recently and yet they finally had the decency to drop the gas down from $2.89. Something smells really bad here. Last night the price of wholesale unleaded gas at the rack in Montreal where it all comes from was $1.9ty something. Why so damned high for oil. I turn my Peerless boiler on a couple times a day to fill the hot water tank and that's it. It looks like I will be continuing that tradition. I have been burning diesel in 5 gallon cans for the past 2 months which I am going to continue. What a rip off!!!!!!!!!!
How about this? Your dealer may have filled his tanks for $3.50/gallong a month or so ago. Except his tanks have 100,000 gallons in them. How long do you think it'll take him to get rid of that $3.50/gal oil delivering 100 gallons at a time? Or do you think he should mark it down to $2.50 and lose a hundred thousand dollars?

On Monday I called my regular oil dealer and asked how much per gal after she replied $3.09 a gal I said thank you and have a nice day. Just before I hung up I heard her give out a long sigh....and they wanted me to pay into a budget plan this year!!! Yeah right! Last winter I locked in at $2.69 and they gave me a hard time of delivering later in the winter when prices were over $4.00!! I called another oil company and had it delivered 190 gallons at $2.59 today, something I would not halved done in the past is shop around. I figured I fill up now the price is not unreasonable and it buys me time to wait on to see what happens on pellet prices to make up rest of my heating needs or buy up to another 150 gallons of oil later in the winter. But for now I have bought me some time..........I feel so much better. My parents however locked in over $4.80 for 480 gallons.........Ouch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.