Heating oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john193

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2010
Southeast PA
so I inquired last night and heating oil is going for around 2.29/gallon in my area, min 150 gallons. With my most recent cost for pellets at 275 a ton, the cost per BTUs between the fuels is statistically even. So the question is, do I get some fuel or keep waiting?

I can always use my boiler for supplement heat on the really cold days an given its relatively young age the system is fairly efficient.

What are you guys with oil heaters doing?

we all have similar dilemmas here, when the temps are xx it is cheaper for me to run the heat pump. so do I burn pellets or use electric? I usually still burn as I enjoy it, sometimes I even spend more to burn. Then again I will run out of pellets in March and just let the heat pump run rather than buy more pellets.

I suspect further drops will be much less dramatic. A 10% drop in heating oil will only save you $35. Just my uneducated opinion.

Reactions: john193
Found a different supplier at 2.19 and locked in 150 gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.