Heating pole barn w/stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

menchhofer

Jan 10, 2006
Indiana
I have 30 x 56 uninsulated pole barn w/concrete floor. Would I have any luck heating this with a wood stove during the winter months. I think not, but thought I would ask the experts here. Thx

You wont have much luck without insulation. I heated a steel barn like that which we insulated. Had a Homewood stove with a blower. It work pretty good but used a ton of wood. If I remember correctly the stove had something like a 12 cubic foot box.

Thats one huge pole barn. Over 1500 sq ft of unisulated space with high ceilings would be very difficult to heat. For answers on heating it you have found the right website. For all other questions about the barn head to garagejournal.com

You may not be able to heat the space to a warm temperature but you can be comfortable working out there. Think radiant. Big barrel stove hotter than heck will make anything next to it warm. It will feel like the sun is in the barn and burn your eyeballs, but your backside will stay cool until you rotate your body.

Just like a big campfire outside in cold weather, the intent isn't to heat the outdoors but to create radiant heat for your body to absorb.

Buddy of mine put up a 40' by 70' pole barn a couple yr. ago. It is very nice, concrete floor, etc. but he'd be dreaming if he thought he'd heat it with a wood stove or much of any type stove, really. However, it would be darn nice to have a big stove in there, as you could walk over and warm up now and then.

A friend has a large pole barn type building that houses his business, it is at least 60 x 100, with some insulation.

He has a stove that is about 5' round and 5' tall, I think it is an industrial coal burner from long long ago, as it looks ancient!

It keeps his place warm, but eats vast quantities of wood!
I took him several cord sized loads of firewood in my dump truck last winter to pay back a favor, and he said each load lasted a little over a week...

He enjoys it...

Rob

Generally in a pole barn you will heat the air close to the stove and might take a bit of chill of in other areas but not much. Uninsulated tells the story but don't forget that cement floor. That cement floor alone can soak up almost all the heat from a stove. Still, it can mean the difference between working in the barn or not. If it were me, I'd put one in and then insulate as you can. Also, can you put in a false ceiling, at least around where the stove is? That will help as will a couple of fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.