heating rocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

603doug

Sep 26, 2008
seacoast nh
In my wood doc converter the flame exhaust etc is pulled down through the coals to burn the gases, their version of a gasifier, and I love it. Now I am building a sweat lodge and stingy as hell on burning wood in an open pit. I am wondering if I put soft ball size rocks below the firebrick where it is the hottest would it heat my rocks plus not waste any wood :)

You run the risk of exploding rocks (good name for a band, by the way). Rocks often contain moisture, and the secondary chamber reaches over 2000 degrees. I've reduce a wide variety of high temperature refractory parts to gravel.

I was kidding just do not want to waste heat, we have built lodges before and you are so right on moisture content in a rock. We found out the hard way once, I would be the collector of rocks but I was out of town and a friend collected some fired them up and all you heard was rocks coming apart like welding on concrete, he had gather nice round stones from near a brook and they were like a sponge luckily the problem was in the firing pit not shrapnel inside the lodge

That's an interesting reply nofossil, are you also a Dave Barry fan?

Use igneous rocks for sweat lodge fires, such as granites. Never use sedimentary rocks, sandstones, limestones,
and especially don't use shales. I know some people use limestone, but there can still be pockets of air and or
moisture trapped in the rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.