Heating season only a month away now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Yes, the time is getting close now. So what is the forecast?

We've had the coolest or next to the coolest summer ever here in Michigan with many records broken. The first 4 days of August were just like July; all below normal temperature. Now I see the forecast for Saturday is 95 degrees!!!!! Holy cat scat! We haven't even seen 85 since the third week of June.

I spoke too soon, I guess, that we had run our air conditioner only once so far this summer and that was for 1/2 day. Looks like Saturday will be the second time. Maybe the following week we'll be starting a fire in the mornings to take the chill off.

Sorry about the rant.

It's been cool and rainy here in the northeast. I hope we stay in a cool and snowy pattern for the winter. I love snow!!!

Rant away! Up until this past week, it really hadn't even felt like summer yet. Maybe we this means the actual summer will run into October???

Hot and muggy in the Mid-Atlantic. Not looking forward to the season starting. More fun talking about it and getting ready for it than actually doing it. :coolsmirk:

Same here to the west of you. We had a fire in the stove one night in July to take the chill off. I don't ever remember having a fire in the stove in July, not even when I was a kid. 90s forecast for this weekend here too, but it won't last long now.

We've finally warmed up and dried off here in the North East. Can't say how long it will last, though.
Above average rain for June and July, below average sun. Not great for drying wood.
I hoping for a dry August and September, before I start putting 8.5 cord into the basement and 1.5 in the garage.
(The garage is just stove wood - 14" and less, with some softwood. The basement is all 18" hardwood for the boiler.)

Happy burning!

You who have been bemoaning the cool summer. Yea, and if we continue with all this "Global Warming", we won't even need our air conditioners any more. We'll be able to burn wood year round!!!

We happened to be the opposite of most. The stove has had over a two month rest this year. The only smoke Ive seen this summer is from forest fires. :mad:

It's been pretty nice here for the last week or so. Today is 75+ and sunny and tomorrow is supposed to be 80, this is the type of summer weather I can handle. I can't stand when it gets hotter then 80.

I'm still about 8-10 weeks away from a fire. I just just ran my brush through the stack a couple days ago, I also totally cleaned the Oslo inside and out.
all is ready......clean stack, clean stove and all of my wood ( besides the ash split in Jan 09) is 18-24 months split/stacked.

WoodButcher

I can usually wait up until Nov.1 since we live right along the ocean (CT), the water tends to keep the ambient temps a little warmer and more stable than even a couple miles inland. Typically the house is just at, or below 60° F on 11/1. With that said, no more games of chicken this year, something is getting burnt before mid Oct., I have a surplus or wood and pellets and there's no point in suffering. I can stomach low 60's, but high 50's is getting pretty chilly...

Dang you Dennis, you just jinxed us and now we will have a long hot Indian summer. :lol:

If I start cutting down some trees tomorrow will the wood be ready by October?

BrotherBart said:

as long as it's pine you'll be fine ;)

Pretty sure were in for an El Niño winter here so that means warmer and more frequent thaws ...my favorite winter. Yeah we'll have some fires in sept but the real heavy duty 24/7 burning I hoping won't happen till after Thanksgiving.

Stevebass4 said:
BrotherBart said:

as long as it's pine you'll be fine ;)

cover it tightly with a tarp, and split as needed.

BrotherBart said:

Of course, provided you split it into 1/2" slivers and cross-stack them. ;-P Perfect size for a Fireview, you could heat for a week in the dead of winter with about three of those. ;-)

Very strange "Summer" up this way . . . can't say as though I've ever had to heat up the house in July . . . but I actually had a small fire going on the morning of the 4th of July due to my wife being chilly.

It's warmed up some now in the last week or two though . . . although I figure by the end of September or early October it will be time for a few more of those quick fires for chilly mornings or evenings.

BrotherBart said:
If elevated, covered, and sprinkled with fairy dust, anything's possible! :cheese: My dad used to cut firewood in the morning and burn it that night! Chimney fires barely made him glance up from the newspaper. Of course, everybody around here still does it that way except me. Many are still following the belief that they have to cut one green tree so that at night they can add a stick of green wood to "bank" the fire so it will hold all night.

46* tonight and didn't take too much begging from my kids for me to start my heating season a bit early.

Status
Not open for further replies.