Heating stove ethics quandry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
I'm truly happy with my Vermont Castings Resolute II. It was a museum find when I got it 10 years ago (birthday present... sister paid $100 for it) and now it competently and efficiently heats Chateau Loco. It burns cleanly, heats the house, and it's a joy to live with. The Roomba helps with dust.

The ethical challenge that is now at hand as I'm thinking of heat for my garage. My father in law, and very Appalachian local, has offered me the wood stove he has in the basement. Mind you, he's a mechanic's mechanic and is the wrench of last resort for many in the area.

The stove is no where near the quality of the VC Resolute. It's like comparing a jewel to an anvil. It looks dead basic and simple. He says it works fine, and he's had no trouble burning wood or MOTOR OIL. Then showed me how he'd rigged a "dripper" to burn off his waste oil in his other wood stove.

My question: should I put a stove in my garage that I know has burned petroleum?

Is the garage attached? In most places it is not legal to put a solid fuel burning appliance in an attached garage. Sometimes you can get away with it in a separate structure. Check with local inspectors. Search around and you will find many posts of the same nature on here.

On the question: "should I put a stove in my garage that I know has burned petroleum?" I see no reason not to just because it has burned petroleum. However I might question if you plan on also burning petroleum in it. Just because it has in the past has no bearing on now. However, as others have stated, there are other questions that must be answered first. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.