Heating the Northeast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEWP-Alyson

Apr 30, 2008
New Hampshire
I thought that the Hearth.com community might like to know about this link, www.heatne.com. It has information about an upcoming conference, “Heating the Northeast with Renewable Biomass: Pellets, Wood, Crops and More” that will happen April 29 & 30th in Nashua, NH.

The conference organizers, of which New England Wood Pellet is one, want to bring together the diverse interests within this industry to take stock, look ahead and plan for our renewable energy needs in the northeast. There is much to talk about and consider for the future from raw material supplies, to technological trends (central heating and bulk distribution), to the challenges of volatile energy prices, to the ways in which manufacturers of both fuel and appliances serve the retailer and ultimately consumer at the residential and commercial/industrial level. While the conference attendees will be largely drawn from those who have a stake in the industry, passionate individuals might want to be there as well.

We hope you will check out www.heatne.com. Thank you for your interest, questions and comments.

NEWP-Alyson said:
I thought that the Hearth.com community might like to know about this link, www.heatne.com. It has information about an upcoming conference, “Heating the Northeast with Renewable Biomass: Pellets, Wood, Crops and More” that will happen April 29 & 30th in Nashua, NH.

The conference organizers, of which New England Wood Pellet is one, want to bring together the diverse interests within this industry to take stock, look ahead and plan for our renewable energy needs in the northeast. There is much to talk about and consider for the future from raw material supplies, to technological trends (central heating and bulk distribution), to the challenges of volatile energy prices, to the ways in which manufacturers of both fuel and appliances serve the retailer and ultimately consumer at the residential and commercial/industrial level. While the conference attendees will be largely drawn from those who have a stake in the industry, passionate individuals might want to be there as well.

We hope you will check out www.heatne.com. Thank you for your interest, questions and comments.

You gonna set your strategy for price - fixing???????????????????????????????

hossthehermit said:
NEWP-Alyson said:

low blow, bud.......Alyson comes in with some info, and you reward her by encouraging her not to post with your deliberately inflammatory post. Nice. Not.

Lousyweather said:
hossthehermit said:
NEWP-Alyson said:

low blow, bud.......Alyson comes in with some info, and you reward her by encouraging her not to post with your deliberately inflammatory post. Nice. Not.

No, just a question. Makes me curious, because it sounds like an announcement for an OPEC summit. I'm certainly NOT trying to discourage ANYONE from posting information. Sounds like you may have a stake in this yourownself, pretty defensive. But, no matter, everyone has their own opinion. Some people only want to hear the ones they agree with, I like 'em all.

I think the whole point of this meeting is to bring manufacturers, retailers and anyone else who may want to attend to try and brainstorm on different ideas. To see if we can reduce our dependence even more on oil and to not be locked in by soley burning wood pellets. Wood pellets have been a great start but there are other fuels to burn out there, i.e. soybean, sunflower, switchgrass etc. Bulk delivery looks like another topic they are covering. All this, so maybe the wood pellet industry doesn't have a stranglehold on everyone that wants or has to burn wood pellets and to make it as cost effective as possible for everyone. And yes I am going to try and attend to see what direction I can go to maybe offer my customers some savings. No harm in learning!

I agree with Lousy W and Balls of Fire

Sounds like she was INVITING us to take part.
Now if they wanted to price fix I think they would do in in smoke filled rooms (oops) like they did in the past hidden from the public.
I applaud efforts of the industry to brainstorm, maybe create standards for pellets and other biomasses so "premium" means something.
Anything to diversify the heating options in the cold Northeast. Oil will not be this cheap forever.

Tom

I think Alysons post was just for information, nothing more. However, if anyone thinks an industry comes together in order to lower prices and benefit the comsumer, they're gullable. This meeting is probably just a meet and greet for the northeast industry, discuss the future a bit, and learn who the major players are. They'll come together in a more private setting to determine the best ways to organize and maximize profits. It's a business, don't think anyone wants to help the consumer, solve foreign oil issues, global warming, or whatever else. If Pellet manufacturers are there, it's eventually about money.
Mike -

Hoss, you have a "Time-Out".

Eric

I just got back from a two day seminar called energy of the farm in Fairlee VT. It was all about production crops that will produce bio fuels like vegetable oil and pellets. They talked about switch grass, canola, sunflowers, corn and soybeans.

Anyone that thinks energy will stay cheap must be smoking something but when wood gets to a certain price your going to see farmers like me offering things like switch grass pellets and sunflower pellets too and I can grow a whole bunch of switch grass for the right price.

It’s going to be hard for anyone to fix the price on pellets when for a few thousand dollars you can make your own and buy the raw material off someone like me. Time will tell.

Rich said:
I just got back from a two day seminar called energy of the farm in Fairlee VT. It was all about production crops that will produce bio fuels like vegetable oil and pellets. They talked about switch grass, canola, sunflowers, corn and soybeans.

Anyone that thinks energy will stay cheap must be smoking something but when wood gets to a certain price your going to see farmers like me offering things like switch grass pellets and sunflower pellets too and I can grow a whole bunch of switch grass for the right price.

It’s going to be hard for anyone to fix the price on pellets when for a few thousand dollars you can make your own and buy the raw material off someone like me. Time will tell.

Well I for one hope the farmers do start growing fuel! I'm ready to burn it.

jay

No soybeans in stoves, please. Use the soybeans for biodiesel. Burn switchgrass or something else that can't be readily used as a petroleum substitute.

I guess if anyone thinks this is an OPEC type meeting - best way to know for sure - attend.
(Hmm - don't remember the last time I was invited to attend a real OPEC meeting)

Watch out for the black helicopters at the "wood pellet summit". At the risk of sounding like I "have a stake in this myownself", I have to applaud a pellet company that is trying to engage the pellet buying public to take part in an industry meeting. I have never purchased or burned a bag of NEWP pellets, but based on what I have read in the media, and on this forum, they seem to be a reputable company. Hearing Alyson promte this type of meeting only reinforces that image.

For the record, I dislike OPEC as much or more than anyone I know...because they openly engage in price fixing. In fact, that is the reason it was formed. As far as I can see, the marketplace has dictated pellet prices. I bought my stove in September of 2009, so I never got to see the $200 per ton prices that many speak of. Maybe they will be back, maybe not. Either way, just because I want to pay less for my pellets, I'm not going to paint the industry with the broad brush of conspiracy. The market will set the price that companies can charge. As soon as the pellet industry creates the "Pellet OPEC" I will be among the first to stand up and complain.

Thanks for the invite Alyson!

Rich said:

why would you need to pelletize anything when mother nature already does it for you? ive been burning small grains such as barley,rye, oats and wheat for 5 years now as well as raising them for 3 years.

If anyone does attend could they report on some highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.