Heating the whole house tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
May 12, 2010
Michigan
Today was the first time that I have run both stoves. I have a Jotul Oslo in the basement and a Jotul C350 insert in the living room on the first floor. It has been in the low 20's and now teens. The furnace hasn't kicked on all evening and the house is 68-70 degrees. Nice and toasty in my chair right next to the insert. I am pretty happy and quite surprised.

Reactions: raybonz
Hey Chris, I'm also one of the lucky ones to have 2 stoves. I have my Osburn 2400 insert on one end of the house, and my Jotul 8 stove on the other. When I see that the temps are dipping below 20, I get the Jotul going, otherwise, my living room is 74 and the other end of the house is 68. With both going, I can pretty much keep the house in the mid 70's at any temperature!

Reactions: webby3650
I also wind up using about the same amount of wood. Rather than stoking the Osburn to keep the temps up, I can let it burn the coals down because the Jotul is going on the other end of the house to keep things equalized.

Reactions: PapaDave
I also wind up using about the same amount of wood. Rather than stoking the Osburn to keep the temps up, I can let it burn the coals down because the Jotul is going on the other end of the house to keep things equalized.

That's a good point. I was burning the insert pretty hard last night and the living room got pretty warm. I could probably scale back the insert a little bit and also reduce some wood consumption.

I was happy to find the bedrooms upstairs quite warm as well. It didn't stuff stoves for an overnight burn and let the furnace handle the night. There were coals in both stoves to get fires going this morning.

Prior I felt that I had a stove that was too big for my basement and an insert that was too small for the main floor. Put them both together and I can heat the whole house during pretty cold temps. I now feel better about these stoves.

Reactions: PapaDave
It's great having options. Also, like I said, I don't think much about single digit temps outside. I'm covered!

Hey Chris, I'm also one of the lucky ones to have 2 stoves. I have my Osburn 2400 insert on one end of the house, and my Jotul 8 stove on the other. When I see that the temps are dipping below 20, I get the Jotul going, otherwise, my living room is 74 and the other end of the house is 68. With both going, I can pretty much keep the house in the mid 70's at any temperature!
Same here. I really need 2 stoves when it in the 20's or lower and I love it!

I'm gonna be installing a Jotul F-500 in a few days, I'm looking forward to it!

Actually, I have 3 stoves. One on each side of the chimney. And by adding the jotul 602 in the patio, I've extended the winter living space. We had them all going last weekend for a small family dinner. Some of us played games in the patio and others watched the football game in the family room.

Status
Not open for further replies.