Heating Treehouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daubers

Nov 3, 2012
I am finishing a 4 season treehouse that I am building to function as an off grid camp for my family and I to enjoy. To this point I have been able to build entirely out of repurposed materials ( much out of pallets). Before I finish the walls and roof I would like to figure out my heating system. For now the treehouse is only 10x14 and not insulated (although pretty air tight). I am in PA so winters do get pretty cold, 12 degrees right now with -5 windchill.

I would LOVE to heat with wood instead of propane. And if I could build the fireplace or stove from repurposed material that would be ideal. With very limited floorspace and small children I have thought of possibly building a small boiler system or a masonary fireplace. Although I have not found any info like this, I was thinking of maybe a masonary based fireplace that went thru the wall into the outer deck where the bulk could be outside with an opening into the treehouse for heat.

Obviously this will not be built to any type of code, so I am just looking for safety. Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum!

Honestly, I have a hard time believing that what you are trying to do could be done in a safe manner. And any building that is occupied by my family should adhere to all fire codes. You will be surrounded by combustible materials and probably elevated from the ground. There is no way I would skimp on safety.

Since it is a similar application, one type of stove that could work there are marine stoves. Here is an example: http://www.marinestove.com/
Or a very small stove like this: http://www.graystove.com/
Nevertheless, I would definitively follow code and the manufacturer's instructions for the installation of those.

Reactions: daubers
That is why I was thinking of an outside boiler system. Removes the safety issue from the equation. Those are some awesome stoves you listed, but to be honest, thats 8x more than I have into building the treehouse!

Any solid fuel appliance built from scrap wont be UL listed and wont be condoned here, I'm guessing. You will get tons of great advice on small wood stoves though.

Any solid fuel appliance built from scrap wont be UL listed and wont be condoned here, I'm guessing. You will get tons of great advice on small wood stoves though.
oooh. thanks for the heads up Fsappo. I have used this forum many times and received great info on the heating of my house and garage but I was not aware that anything non conventional was taboo. Was worth a try but I guess I will be best served elsewhere.

There was, last year, just posted the link.

Reactions: daubers
I think the term you are looking for is "not legal and potentially dangerous". Not "non conventional". Im not commenting from a position of authority in the industry, or the forum. Just explaining to you what you should expect. No one in their right mind will advise on something that may cause damage to life or property.

It would be like going on a car forum and asking "I want to make my brakes out of cardboard, any ideas?" Folks just wouldn't touch it

I think the term you are looking for is "not legal and potentially dangerous". Im not commenting from a position of authority in the industry, or the forum. Just explaining to you what you should expect. No one in their right mind will advise on something that may cause damage to life or property.

It would be like going on a car forum and asking "I want to make my brakes out of cardboard, any ideas?" Folks just wouldn't touch it

That is a very poor anoalogy and honestly I dont appreciate the assumption. I am on here because I want to do this safely BUT that doesn't mean I have to do it from a store bought, high dollar stove. This is more like asking for advice on fabricating a transmission cross-member for a non stock setup as opposed to buying one.

Nope, there are lots of ways to skin a cat. It all depends on the personal risk one wants to take for themselves and family. We are only going to advise on the safe way to do this because sooner or later another will be looking at this thread asking the same question.

Common sense says that below a certain sq ftg wood heat is not very practical. How large is the tree house? Will it be insulated? Are you looking to heat it for a couple hours or days?

PS: There are good stoves out there for under $600. And there are stoves designed for the marine industry that will also work.

That is a very poor anoalogy and honestly I dont appreciate the assumption. I am on here because I want to do this safely BUT that doesn't mean I have to do it from a store bought, high dollar stove. This is more like asking for advice on fabricating a transmission cross-member for a non stock setup as opposed to buying one.

Ok, you are correct. I apologize

Nope, there are lots of ways to skin a cat. It all depends on the personal risk one wants to take for themselves and family. We are only going to advise on the safe way to do this because sooner or later another will be looking at this thread asking the same question.

Common sense says that below a certain sq ftg wood heat is not very practical. How large is the tree house? Will it be insulated? Are you looking to heat it for a couple hours or days?

PS: There are good stoves out there for under $600. And there are stoves designed for the marine industry that will also work.
currently the treehouse is 14x10 with 12' ceiling. It most likely will be added onto in the future. Currently it is not insulated but if i need to I have no problem doing so.

currently the treehouse is 14x10 with 12' ceiling. It most likely will be added onto in the future. Currently it is not insulated but if i need to I have no problem doing so.
Is it ACTUALLY in a tree. (elevated?)

Is it ACTUALLY in a tree. (elevated?)
At the risk of sounding like a smart ass but isn't that what a treehouse is? lol. but yes it is in a tree. Origianally was just going to be a BIG tree stand and then evolved into a full blown treehouse for the wife and kids to enjoy with me. I do have a small generator for electric but would prefer this to not be part of the heating system.

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass but isn't that what a treehouse is? lol. but yes it is in a tree. Origianally was just going to be a BIG tree stand and then evolved into a full blown treehouse for the wife and kids to enjoy with me. I do have a small generator for electric but would prefer this to not be part of the heating system.

You're probably aware of them but there are some tree house resources out there, starting with the Treehouse Masters show on Animal Planet. I think they have a Facebook page and that might be a place to pose this question to see if other treehouse folks have tried this. (The TV show is actually pretty enjoyable, too).

I was so intrigued by this I ran a google search and it turned up a website with some advice, unfortunately based in the UK, but which gives some general advice on the topic. http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/treehouse-stoves.html

You're probably aware of them but there are some tree house resources out there, starting with the Treehouse Masters show on Animal Planet. I think they have a Facebook page and that might be a place to pose this question to see if other treehouse folks have tried this. (The TV show is actually pretty enjoyable, too).

I was so intrigued by this I ran a google search and it turned up a website with some advice, unfortunately based in the UK, but which gives some general advice on the topic. http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/treehouse-stoves.html
Your name makes me chuckle every time i see it! was my childhood nickname that stuck into high school. I have actually done countless hours of research and watched a large amount of the entertaining treehouse masters. The thing is that my goals are different. I am wanting to be as repurposed and homemade as possible. If I want luxury I will take my RV out. This is all about the imagination of being a child, the excitement of a tree house, mixed with the adult know how to safely pull it off. This is not my first treehouse, but it is my first off grid.

Most all other tree houses go with propane heat ( vented or Mr. Buddy). For one I don't want the odor ( especially for hunting) but it goes against the spirit of the house. I am really leaning towards designing a small boiler system. Outdoor wood burner, glycol solution in lines, going into auto heater core and dispersed with 12v computer fan. This way When I add on I could also add on to the heating system whether i build another room entirely in another tree or a second level.

Your better off running a long extention cord and using a heater that looks like a wood stove....$179 at lowes......heats great.....

If set on burning wood, consider a safe small stove like the Englander 17NC, $549 at home depot. Install safely, honoring clearances and hearth requirements and with a proper safe flue system. I'd also add a battery powered smoke and CO detector.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/wood%20stove?NCNI-5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.