heating water with a flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveORama

Apr 2, 2011
SouthEast Pa
I have a friend who owns a Brew Pub and Bread making restaurant. The flue pipe coming of the wood fired bread oven runs about 12' across to the all fuel chimney. He would like to capture the heat from the flue pipe to heat his hot water that they use in their kitchen (they run out of hot water at the end of the night). I have a lot of ideas of how we could rig something up but does anyone know of a manufactured part/ system that might work?

just be warned that cooling flue gasses means increased creosote production = increased chance of a 2000+ degree chimney fire.

pen

I would like to see a picture of the bread stove. My Grandpop was a plumber and he used to heat water through a water coil in a soapstone stove (I think it was a Woodstock classic). The problem with it is that you need some safeties. I have two safeties in my solar hw heater. One is for excessive temperature and the other is for excessive pressure. It may be safer, simpler, and cheaper to just use solar for your friends dhw needs.

With a 12' horizontal run he is already acquainted with creosote. He doesn't need to invite it any more than he already does.

What is the rest of the flue setup?

Wouldn't touch this one for my life - except to say get plenty of CO detectors if you try it. Cold water around a flue pipe is a recipe for loosing draft and backing up flue gas into the occupied space.

Thanks for your ideas. I will be going to look at the job this week and let you know what I find. I will try to send Pics as they tell the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.