Heating water with the woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skelator

Nov 22, 2013
connecticut
This is something I've wanted to do. Have any of you guys figured something out to kinda preheat the water before it gets to the water heater?

I know a few guy's that have put copper coils in the stove before. it worked but it is hard to temper it after the water is at setpoint. it seems they needed multiple dump zones. I never looked at them too close. I would say if done correctly it would work great.

http://woodheat.org/heating-water-with-a-wood-stove.html

A bit more info for you. The blown-up cookstove is an eye-opener. Also note the bit about a collector cooling the firebox - this can lead to smoky chimneys and creosote if not done correctly.
wow, that stove looks like it was at war. it could work with a coil in the combustion chamber but somebody would have to be there 24\7 to monitor and maintain stack temp. it would be almost impossible. I have often thought about wrapping a wood stove with small copper tubing for hot water in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.