Heating with propane, what should I know?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston73

Feb 10, 2011
SE MA
The wife and I are looking to buy a house and one we are interested in looks great but the whole thing is heated with propane. It has a large external, above ground tank. I've only ever lived in a house with oil heat and know next to nothing about propane so I am looking for opinions and thoughts about it. Any negatives large enough for us to avoid this house, assuming everything else is great?

I have propane for hot water and backup heat. Nothing too major to worry about, as long as you have gas in the tank! I have never had any problems/maintenance issues with the furnace or water heater. It is more expensive than natural gas, but not sure when compared to oil. I used it for one winter, then installed a wood burning insert to make it easier on the pocket book over the long run. If I could get NG, I would switch, but that isn't an option.

Right now, propane is relatively inexpensive. I paid 1.39/gallon for my summer fill. If I owned my tank, I've seen fill rates as low as $0.60/gallon.

On the other hand, I've seen propane at $4.00/gallon and rationed...Given the choice, I'd avoid a propane fueled house if possible. If not, then look into heating sources that will be cheaper in the long run, such as heat pumps, wood, pellets, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.