Heating with Woodstoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RWA6541

Jan 13, 2010
BRONX, NY
My only wood heating experience up until last week was with a forced air wood/oil furnace. What a pleasure it is with constant heat of a stove, there is no waiting for a reaction. As soon as you close the door the heat comes right back. I have scoffed at them in the past because of the mess of the wood in the house, but now I'm sold. Trying to sell my pellet insert so that I can put another wood stove in. My only gripe is getting my old ass down low enough to see in the stove, they are really low to the floor. I'd really like to try that Jotul 600 next, I now see the Engineering behind the top loaders. Cooked a nice stew yesterday as we were getting destroyed by old man winter, talk about being green I think that was the first environmentally friendly act of my life!

Our Oslo is hearth mounted - I don't have to bend too low! :)

Isn't it nice to be 'warm to the bones' in winter? :)

so long as it doesn't reduce your chimney length below what is required or get you too close to the ceiling for the recommended distances, nothing says you can't raise your next stove by building a high hearth pad!

pen

The beauty of having that 30-NC sitting on a raised hearth in the fireplace. Easy to load with these old broken down knees and the big window with the fire view is at eye level sitting on the couch.

Now making plans to renovate the chimney end of this house, I want to: correct the vaulted cielings, build the chimney inside, and you could bet I'm gonna put the stoves up on hearths so I could look them in the eye. Also want to build a wood rack into the masonry. But we'll see were the winter leaves the pocket book. Warm to the bones...LOL that sums it up

Those stoves look like they belong in some Mid-town Manhattan Yuppie's top floor penthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.