Heatshield & similar super refractory products

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hoytman

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2020
Ohio
@bholler @webby3650 @begreen and anyone else with information…

Do any of you have any experience with Heatshield or similar products? What’s your experience and opinions on it as to what it supposed to do?

I read where it’s supposed to fill in cracks in clay liners (I believe there was two products I read about to be used together in a clay liner), has a super high temperature rating, and supposed to allow a masonry chimney to pass clearance to combustibles with zero clearance I believe is what I read.

I realize it’s probably just as easy to rip out the clay and install an insulated liner. I’m wanting to know how the product actually stands up to its claims and also, in your opinion, if it performs as well as advertised, and in comparison to an insulated liner.

Give an example of when you’d recommend this, and/or if you’d ever recommend it.

I’m just wanting to know more about it. If it lives up to its hype, then I wonder how much advantage one would gain applying it directly to a new clay liner, say 6” round tongue-n-groove clay liners, just for the added temperature rating and clearance benefits, if any?

I really don’t see how this product can insulate well enough to change clearance on a masonry chimney, let alone perform like a 1” insulated liner or stainless Class A chimney.

Does anyone have any other knowledge of pre-cast chimney blocks/liners, all-in-one’s, super-refractory pre-cast chimney kits?

Messick Stove in PA was selling a pre-cast chimney and liner-in-one product a few years back, but I no longer see it listed on their website and I forget the products name.
EDIT:
I believe the product sold by Messick was called Isokern…yeah that’s it…
I can’t see that Isokern pumice product holding up to heat over the long term as well as clay because from what I’ve seen of pumice bricks in stoves like Quadrafire they don’t seem to last too long.

Last edited:
I think those products are good for filling gaps. But have yet seen one hold up long when used as a veneer

Reactions: Hoytman
So you have seen them used as a veneer that didn’t hold up then?

Have you any experience or knowledge of the Isokern system, or any other type similar?

So you have seen them used as a veneer that didn’t hold up then?

Have you any experience or knowledge of the Isokern system, or any other type similar?
I haven't seen any used as a veneer that did hold up.

And no I have no experience with isokern