Heavy dark ash filling up pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflynj

Jan 28, 2014
New York
Hi !
This is our third year using Enviro Mini, this year we have a problem when burning high (can't open dampener any further) the pot is filling up with dark heavy ash, normally it is light and gets blown out where it settles bottom ash pail. Now every 6-8 hours we open it and stir/scrape the pot to clean it. we do clean/vacuum every nook an cranny.

any ideas?

Thanks

Hi !
This is our third year using Enviro Mini, this year we have a problem when burning high (can't open dampener any further) the pot is filling up with dark heavy ash, normally it is light and gets blown out where it settles bottom ash pail. Now every 6-8 hours we open it and stir/scrape the pot to clean it. we do clean/vacuum every nook an cranny.

any ideas?

Thanks

Which pellets are you burning?

Which pellets are you burning?
Like RKS130 said. Did you change pellets recently? The brand you are burning now are they different than before this all started?

Thank you for the replies

I am using Green Supreme premium wood pellet from Home Depot, we used this last year with good results. Pres-to-Log first year, both Hardwood.
The Enviro Mini does seems to be picky, I tried pellets from Lowes and Tractor supply (softwood) and got a lot of clinkers. I
Just because its the same brand , does not means its made the same everytime, Stove Chow and one Tractor supply worked good sometimes and some bad. Or my stove is just not right, too sensitive to quality, the same brand giving me different results. But this heavy ash is new for this season, its not clinkers.

Hi !

any ideas?

Thanks
Did you clean the vent pipe?

who makes Green Supreme as the bag says made in NH and NY
Is it New England Wood Pellets or possible Curren Wood Pellets out of NY?

we cleaned every nook and cranny before the season started, will have to clean it again to see if it helps.
strange thing tho, today I just went to scrape the pot and this time no dark ash build up, using the same pellets we been using, 12 bags left out of the 2 tons we bought. I think the problem started on the second ton, even tho we bought it the same time. but then again why suddenly today no ash build up.

Green Supreme = Product of New England wood pellet LLC - Made in New Hampshire and New York

Green Supreme have been ashy for me. Pellets can vary in quality from year to year, as most will attest!

well it maybe because its 100% hardwood and burning at highest setting for this cold winter.
It seems the hardwood/softwood blend is working better. I may just have to buy more expensive pellets for this stove.

we cleaned every nook and cranny before the season started, will have to clean it again to see if it helps.
strange thing tho, today I just went to scrape the pot and this time no dark ash build up, using the same pellets we been using, 12 bags left out of the 2 tons we bought. I think the problem started on the second ton, even tho we bought it the same time. but then again why suddenly today no ash build up.

Green Supreme = Product of New England wood pellet LLC - Made in New Hampshire and New York
But have you cleaned the vent pipe?

I have had horrible luck with the pellets from HD. Once I switched to another brand, the issues have subsided.

Status
Not open for further replies.