Heavy duty wood .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarmisle

Sep 28, 2022
Ohio
Below zero wind chills tonight and tomorrow, bringing in osage orange and black locust to feed the King, that piece of osage in the back weighs 22 lbs, all this wood is at least 10 years old kept inside va building,only brought out in extreme conditions.

oo.jpeg

I think I had a piece of that in my stove a couple weeks ago. It literally burned all day and was put in there with a couple smaller splits. It just kept feeding the coal bed and burning, ALL day. It was very heavy as well.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
I too have just brought locust to the front door for extreme conditions. Probably split 6 yrs ago.

Below zero wind chills tonight and tomorrow, bringing in osage orange and black locust to feed the King, that piece of osage in the back weighs 22 lbs, all this wood is at least 10 years old kept inside va building,only brought out in extreme conditions.

View attachment 309033
My Garn gets a pretty steady diet of Osage orange. Its great firewood but is a groan to brush out. I have one farm that had a fair amount of it that was planted during the WPA era and never was harvested. In the next couple years we will have it all processed. I burn 10-15 cord a year.

Some Oak and Honey locust are on the menu for Friday.

Reactions: Gearhead660

View attachment 309033
That's some good stuff right there! I'm going to try to scrounge up some hedge on my neighbors property for this cold spell coming up but likely have to resort to the Apple already seasoned but low btu.

My Garn gets a pretty steady diet of Osage orange. Its great firewood but is a groan to brush out. I have one farm that had a fair amount of it that was planted during the WPA era and never was harvested. In the next couple years we will have it all processed. I burn 10-15 cord a year.
Same with my Switzer. Usually it’s all hedge, all the time. I’ve been feeling somewhat “guilty” because I usually cut other trees out of the way and don’t cut them up. Locust, Ash, etc. I guess I shouldn’t have such a one track mind.
I have burned mulberry, walnut, locust, and hackberry every once in a while. But not very often.

That's some good stuff right there! I'm going to try to scrounge up some hedge on my neighbors property for this cold spell coming up but likely have to resort to the Apple already seasoned but low btu.
Apple is right up there with red oak, nothing to sneeze at, plus one of the best smelling wood out there. i have a small stash but haven't got to it.

White oak here, today. Holding at 73F on entire first floor on wood alone, with oil baseboards set at 70F for backup, should I ever fall behind. Second floor is holding above 70F, also on wood alone, and third floor and basement both have their thermostats set at 62F. Garage is set to 53F on LP, and shop and music studio on heat pumps set to 55F and 66F, respectively. We're going to be burning some of everything tonight... white oak, oil, LP, and electrons.

Right now the only wood I have that is really ready is cherry or locust. And while the locust burns forever when the temps really drop with the princess I switch back to cherry. It has fewer BTUs but can release them faster. So no I don't get long burns but it heats the house better

Reactions: Gearhead660
Tried different species but found I just need more btus than 1 burner can supply. When temps get down to single digits, I fire up another burner.

Reactions: Stove Cricket