Heavy Winds and Draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pertzbro

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2016
NW Iowa
First year burning. What should I expect from heavy winds? I dont think not burning is an option as it's typically a windy area of the country (HUGE concentration of windmills). Should I not load as many splits in case of huge draft? Temps will be in the 20-30 degree range....

Here is the advisory....

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT CST
FRIDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A WIND
ADVISORY, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT CST
FRIDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...FRIDAY THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING

* WINDS...NORTHWEST WIND 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 55 MPH
POSSIBLE.

* IMPACTS...ITEMS NOT SECURED WILL BE BLOWN AROUND. LOCALIZED
TREE DAMAGE AND SUBSEQUENT POWER OUTAGES COULD OCCUR IN VICINITY
OF THE STRONGEST WIND.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT SUSTAINED WINDS OF 30 MPH OR GREATER
ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING
DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA
CAUTION.

I would expect the stove to draft well. High winds generally improve my draft but perhaps you have had different experiences. I would burn without hesitation personally.

i wouldn't worry about it... just keep an eye on the air flow. Its when gusts get over 75 that I start to worry.....

I've never had an issue with wind that I remember. If its in the 20-30 degree range I already have a strong draft, wind has never changed this for me personally.

Just keep an eye on it we had some pretty good wind last night 35 plus I burned and didn't even think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For us that's even safer. We get a monster updraft in the wind. It never reverses, or hasn't yet.
The house never smells smoky regardless of wind conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.