Hedge and spitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adp17x

Aug 15, 2011
Kansas
I was told that hedge does not spit as much when it is seasoned is that true? What are the pro and cons of hedge? I was also told not to burn it for it gets too hot is that true?

Cons-hell on saw chain, takes forever to season, heavy, tough to process all around. Grows in thicket pokey barb wire impregnated areas when farmers plant then as fences. Sparky when burning sometimes. Pros-heavy dense long burning wood(once you get it burning). Easier to overtire a stove on pine than hedge unless you really cram your stove full and let it run. And welcome to the wood side.

adp17x said:
I was told that hedge does not spit as much when it is seasoned is that true? What are the pro and cons of hedge? I was also told not to burn it for it gets too hot is that true?

I cut a lot of hedge last year and found that it varies a lot. Some was one swing with the maul, and others made the splitter go into granny gear.

It dries as an average rate, about one year. It burns great...a few pieces of something like maple or cherry to get it going, then top off the stove with hedge...repeat 16 hours later. It does "pop" a lot, so be aware when you open the door to the stove.

It is wicked heavy when wet. I way overloaded my trailer once...even by my standards....by filling it up the same fulness as other wood.

It will dull your chain faster than some woods, but not a huge difference. It will also turn your saw neon yellow.

I have really wanted to get my hands of some of this wood. The wife and I were 2 hours from the house last week and I hit the brakes and yelled look at that! Some one had several large hedge trees in their yard. Not that it would help me, I just don't see too many of them.

Hedge splits easy....Seasoned or not.

smokinjay said:

Some hedge splits easy. I had one section of 12", straight as an arrow, perfectly clear hedge that just about gave my splitter more than it could handle. Maybe it was just my lucky day.

adp17x said:

I'm thinking if you make sure the wood -- any wood -- is well seasoned it will not spit a whole lot . . . or at least the chances of it spitting and having excess moisture come out of the ends will be minimalized.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:

Some hedge splits easy. I had one section of 12", straight as an arrow, perfectly clear hedge that just about gave my splitter more than it could handle. Maybe it was just my lucky day.

Must of had a twist. Check out you tube on bow making there spliting 60inch long hedge with a hand tool....Crotch pieces is the only ones that give me any issues.

You going to share that zucchini recipe?

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:

Must of had a twist. Check out you tube on bow making there spliting 60inch long hedge with a hand tool....Crotch pieces is the only ones that give me any issues.

Yep, but I'm up in new england this week...have to wait till I get back home. Meant to send it last night but got busy canning tomato juice.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:

Yep, but I'm up in new england this week...have to wait till I get back home. Meant to send it last night but got busy canning tomato juice.

Oh crap...lol We have to can today! Its getting a little overwhelming. Try one off the web til you get back.

firefighterjake said:
I'm thinking if you make sure the wood -- any wood -- is well seasoned it will not spit a whole lot . .

That doesn't really hold true for hedge, Jake. Even bone dry, it will fire off like a sparkler when you crack the door open. I think it has something to do with temp differential and the extra rush of oxygen.

Jags said:
firefighterjake said:
I'm thinking if you make sure the wood -- any wood -- is well seasoned it will not spit a whole lot . .

That doesn't really hold true for hedge, Jake. Even bone dry, it will fire off like a sparkler when you crack the door open. I think it has something to do with temp differential and the extra rush of oxygen.

Mulberry hedge and locust will spark from time to time....Hedge is a nice display of fireworks when well seasoned. ;-)

Jags said:
firefighterjake said:

And so I learn something new . . . I tell ya though . . . I really would love to try some of this legendary hedge some day.

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
firefighterjake said:

And so I learn something new . . . I tell ya though . . . I really would love to try some of this legendary hedge some day.

Its the closest thing to coal, that isn't coal. ;-)

adp17x said:

Great Stuff, but you have to keep common sense about it. It does spark, but a good hearth will take care of those little embers. I was told the same thing about it being too hot to use in a stove. Yes, it burns hot, but if you control the air to it you'll control the fire. Also you can use a mix and match, you dont have to use 100% hedge. It splits rather easily and dries rather quickly. Just dont go try cutting "dried" hedge, or you can count on sharpening or changing blades often. But cutting green hedge is minimal difference than what you would get with any other wood on your blade. We keep some diesel around to clean the sticky sap off your blade and the tip of the blade.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
firefighterjake said:

Mulberry hedge and locust will spark from time to time....Hedge is a nice display of fireworks when well seasoned. ;-)

That's for sure.

Sounds like to me that hedge is a good overnight log. The farmer that I can get hedge from that is what he has most of.

Hedge = Osage Orange. Highest BTU content you can find. I would take all of it you can get your hands on.

Yep, take it all, as stated, good heat, a little tough on chains, but worth it. Yes do watch the sparks, but also enjoy the heat & burn times. Wish I had more. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.