Hedge apples as insect repellent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot

Jun 27, 2006
In the interest of using fewer chemicals...

How many of you use hedge apples to keep spiders and whatnot out of the basement or garage?
Does this really work?

From my research, I have found out that half the people say it works, and half says no.

Dont know for sure, but i've always throw them under my wood pile and dont have an issue with bugs and mice .

Harley said:
wrenchmonster said:
I usually kill or relocate 3-4 wdb rattlesnakes per year, lol.
-Kevin

Inside the house?

LOL, no not inside thankfully. I find them outside all the time. The area I live in is actually named "The Rattle Snake Hills".

I relocate the ones I find in the yard, I kill the ones I find in the garage because I don't want them learning to live there.

-Kevin

If you want to know everything you never wanted to know about hedge apples, you have to go to the official site;

http://hedgeapple.com/

I have heard some say they repel bugs and spiders. But sometimes, looking at all the things crawling around under hedge trees you have to wonder how effective that is!

Corey

I have to agree with Corey. I know people that swear by the effectiveness of the hedge apple (fruit of the osage orange "female"). But I have also seen spiders climb across them. Huh, don't know.

Snakes - me and snakes don't get along. Yea,yea, I know all the good stuff they are supposed to do. Let 'em do it, just not around me.
Jags + snakes = squoooshy snakes.

I have the old farm row of heges in my backyard. I can never keep the apples by my firewood because of the squirres. They eat every apple that falls, then comes spring and i have heges growing all over the place. One year I thought I could just compost my apples WRONG those seed grew everywhere. I have heard of it as an insect repellent , dont know if it works.

Anton Smirnov said:
Oh... HEDGE apples.

I thought horse apples and hedge apples were the same. In fact, I found this on the hedge apple site listed above:

Very often, a Hedgeapple is incorrectly referred to as a Hedge Ball, Horse Apple, Green Brains, Monkey Balls or Mock Orange (click here for correct definition of these). In Texas, they call them Horse Apples,

I'm from Tejas (among other places ;) BTW.

Mo Heat said:
Anton Smirnov said:
Oh... HEDGE apples.

I thought horse apples and hedge apples were the same. In fact, I found this on the hedge apple site listed above:

Very often, a Hedgeapple is incorrectly referred to as a Hedge Ball, Horse Apple, Green Brains, Monkey Balls or Mock Orange (click here for correct definition of these). In Texas, they call them Horse Apples,

I'm from Tejas (among other places ;) BTW.

Here in New England, Horse Apples is what comes out the other end of the horse. And I doubt they would do much to repel insects. As to repelling people, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.