hedge good or bad to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jdscj8,
That quite a lawn tractor you've got there.

jdscj8 said:
is hedge good or bad to burn i know it don't cut worth a crap really hard. But does it burn good?

It's horrible, so I will just come and take it off you hands for you, and it's not that long of a drive for me. It'd be nice if you'd cut it up in 24" long lengths for me, and split the big stuff, just for taking it off of your hands! :cheese:

It burns HOT, it has low water content the day after you cut it, I save all of mine for the really cold weather, and burn everything else when above 0.
One stove salesman told me that anyone who burns it exclusively will warp their stove, not sure if he was full of something or if that is close to the truth, but ou might want to watch it. It pops like crazy, so be careful with it.

As for rotting, it is used for fence posts around here, because it is too hard for the termites to mess with, but if you don't get your fence staples pounded in the first year, you might never get them in. I found some old posts someone had cut up on my property over 11 years ago (that is how long I have lived here, and I didn't do it), they were laying in the dirt, and in some places covered with dirt, and I could of used them for fence posts, but I cut them up for firewood. I figure I only have another 4 or 5 years to burn them before they start to rot.

You`re really getting some good friends off this post!! If your other two buddies get there before me :mad: that`s OK,,,I like Oak and Walnut also :coolsmirk: Just put it in a pile of its own and tell, everyone in the house "HandsOff". All good info above,,You`ll see the difference when you decide its time to try it. Its the air rushing in when you go to add more that really gets the popping going.

SlyFerret said:
(it's the one that drops those grapefruit sized green balls).

Finally I know what kind of trees those are. And now, I really want to cut one down and burn it! :)

My wife still thinks i go alittle overboard with it when i take it out. But bigger is better right?

Grandma always told me to cut them green fruit balls up that fall off the trees and put them around the house (basement, under bed), barn, wood pile, where ever to keep the spiders, ants, and other bugs away. A few years ago my wife thought grandma was nuts and got rid of all them, and within a week spiders and all kinds of bugs were invading the house, so she cut some more up and within a few days the bugs were gone again. Now when grandma tells her old remidies she listens.

jdscj8 said:
is hedge good or bad to burn i know it don't cut worth a crap really hard. But does it burn good?

it cuts ok with a 70+ cc saw and a very sharp stihl rs chain

Wet1 said:
They are common around the great plains and somewhat to the south. I've seen them in the Ohio River Valley and as far east as Eastern PA, but not in New England (although there could be a few around).

I grew up in eastern PA (Bethlehem). Growing up, we called 'em "monkey ball trees".
Some genius thought it was a good idea to plant one on the grounds of my elementary school. We had some great monkey ball fights when those suckers dropped on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.