Height Clearance on Kennebec C450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

op_man1

Mar 11, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Good day everyone,

I have been reading this site for the last few weeks and it has certainly been very helpful so far! I was originally set on getting the Jotul Winterport but after having lurked around for countless hours I believe that the Kennebec will better fit my needs, especially as I would like to work my way towards 24/7 burning.

However, there is one possible issue that I may have in the installation of the Kennebec into my masonry fireplace. Essentially, the height clearance on my masonry opening is slightly less than 23", the stated minimum in the C450 installation manual. I am at about 22 3/4". I noticed in the specs that the height of the insert is 22", which means that theoretically the unit will fit into the opening.

Does anyone know for a fact if that 1/4" will be a showstopper?

Cheers
François

<>However, there is one possible issue that I may have in the installation of the Kennebec into my masonry fireplace. Essentially, the height clearance on my masonry opening is slightly less than 23", the stated minimum in the C450 installation manual. I am at about 22 3/4". I noticed in the specs that the height of the insert is 22", which means that theoretically the unit will fit into the opening.
Does anyone know for a fact if that 1/4" will be a showstopper? <>

The height may be a showstopper IF your lintel is too deep.
The 450 has a "floating" feature which allows it to fit into
masonry FPs of varying depths, but you have to make sure the liner
& adaptor collar will clear the lintel & fit into the unit.
If you've got a lintel of less than 5", you should be good to go...

You might be able to slide the insert into the fireplace opening but you still gotta get your arms in there to connect the liner to the insert.

"The height may be a showstopper IF your lintel is too deep.
The 450 has a “floating” feature which allows it to fit into
masonry FPs of varying depths, but you have to make sure the liner
& adaptor collar will clear the lintel & fit into the unit.
If you’ve got a lintel of less than 5”, you should be good to go…"

Sounds promising - I will measure the lintel depth tonight but I don't htink it was 5" (it was perhaps two or three inches). Thanks for the response!

It could be tight - discuss it with your installer - he may be able to draw the appliance connector into the flue collar from within the stove.

Another thing to note on the Kennebec is the really high K and R values it requires for hearth pad protection - The Jøtul C450 Fireplace Insert requires floor
protection having a minimum insulating R-value of 2.92. That is a very high R value to meet with most standard hearths - it equates to about 14 inches of brick and mortar, as an example. There is a note in the manual about alternate NFPA 211 materials, but unfortunately that isn't a Canadian document, so not likely a local inspector will have the knowledge to review it.

I am not sure why Jotul has such a high R value listed for this stove, and not their other units. I have the stove installed, but wasn't able at all to meet the hearth extension R values, but am quite content that the floor temps I am seeing won't cause problems down the road (I have a 3inch slab on top of the joists below).

Trouble is, my installer didn't even know about the R value requirement, or how to figure out how to meet it, until after he installed the unit, and I hadn't considered the issue until I came accross it in the manual - don't make my mistake.

I like the stove alot - just too bad about the clearance issues with it.

oconnor said:
It could be tight - discuss it with your installer - he may be able to draw the appliance connector into the flue collar from within the stove.

Another thing to note on the Kennebec is the really high K and R values it requires for hearth pad protection - The Jøtul C450 Fireplace Insert requires floor
protection having a minimum insulating R-value of 2.92. That is a very high R value to meet with most standard hearths - it equates to about 14 inches of brick and mortar, as an example. There is a note in the manual about alternate NFPA 211 materials, but unfortunately that isn't a Canadian document, so not likely a local inspector will have the knowledge to review it.

I am not sure why Jotul has such a high R value listed for this stove, and not their other units. I have the stove installed, but wasn't able at all to meet the hearth extension R values, but am quite content that the floor temps I am seeing won't cause problems down the road (I have a 3inch slab on top of the joists below).

Trouble is, my installer didn't even know about the R value requirement, or how to figure out how to meet it, until after he installed the unit, and I hadn't considered the issue until I came accross it in the manual - don't make my mistake.

I like the stove alot - just too bad about the clearance issues with it.

Yes, I hope that he can draw the connector from within the stove - I have difficulty seeing how it could be done otherwise, even if I did have that extra 1/4 inch!

On the R-value insulation, I think I lucked out on that front as I have a raised hearth sitting on concrete that is connected directly into my foundation. It is essentially completely non-combustable. Our house is old - 53 years - I don't think they make them like this now. On the other hand, I have a very long list of upgrading projects going forward!

Thanks for all of your posts on this insert, by the way. It make my selection much easier. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this can go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.