Hello all! New guy here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdean1003

Jan 22, 2016
Athens, GA
After MUCH lurking and reading, I finally decided it was time to make an account and join in on the fun! My name is James Dean, although I go by my middle name Matt pretty much everywhere except for work. I am recently married, 28 years old, and have recently become a wood burner. My wife and I moved into our little place shortly after we got married last year and it has been an incredible start to our journey together.

I have read the hearth forums for years and I didn't know that so, so many people still rely on wood heat for their sole heating purpose. Our little place is a 2 story duplex, with bedrooms upstairs, living room and all else downstairs. The fireplace is your standard zero clearance fireplace with the refractory panels, one of which needs to be replaced-the rear one has broken straight across the middle, horizontally, and is being propped up by the 2 side panels. I know that it needs to be replaced and we are working with our landlord to get it taken care of, but it's not posing a significant danger as of now, and we are extremely cautious with our fires. I am amazed at how WELL it heats our little place. We have had it burning pretty good and it keeps the temp very comfortable inside. We do know also not to overfire it and load up too big of a fire, and the screen is always shut-it never pops out, but the screen is there for a reason. We absolutely love it. We do go to bed with it burning, but I have learned it inside and out well enough to be comfortable doing so. It has been a massive help with our power bill.

I try to burn strictly oak, and if loading it up at night, a small load of unsplit rounds is what I use; I've found they virtually never pop. I actually planned to split some wood that I've had cut almost 2 years now this weekend but this indecisive mother nature in GA has put that off.

I'm rambling, I know-but I wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Welcome to hearth.com . . . only question: What are you doing up at 2:32 in the morning?

Matt, really, if my name was James Dean I would go with it. Good your getting heat out of that fireplace, but I would be afraid to run that all night with just a screen.

This is like the episode of Andy Griffith when the new guy in town already knew everyone there. Lol

Stay safe and stay warm!

Welcome lots of good stuff here. Keep reading.

Welcome Matt. Glad ya finally signed up.

Welcome to the Forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.