Hello and a question from a new member (sorry-long)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have the right plan, bury them in documentation. Include a copy of all the stove manual's installation section and photos of the before location + a clearly labeled and drawn diagram of the proposed installation that includes proposed clearances.

I have a DuraVent installation (straight up thru the roof). Good pipe and easy to get. You can also see a comparative selection/pricing at:
http://www.ventingpipe.com/category.cfm?categoryID=160&source=ggsimpson

If you haven't already, download the Duravent installation guide documentation (and include that with the permit application).
http://www.duravent.com/?page=1a.php

Thanks for the links. Very helpful. Northern Tool does seem to have VERY good prices on the same model numbers, just as an FYI.

Well, they are dealing with the queen of documentation and paperwork. They asked for a lot of paperwork, including 3 surveys, and they're going to get it. I can't imagine what they want surveys for, but luckily I have them. The floor plan showing the install location is the most annoying part. Great idea baout showing the clearances on it. I was going to measure and hand draw it. That should be OK?

Maybe they'll decide to just approve it without working their way through all the info.

Newtowood,

Please check out Lowes. They carry the supervent line of SS chimney. A three foot section of class A 6" inside diameter ss prefab chimney is $68 dollars on the shelf. The cieling support kit is about $150. So divide your total height by three and multiply by $68 +$150 and you will have your total cost for chimney. There are only certain parts of suffolk ct that will require a licensed contractor. They are usually the ritzy parts. Hamptons ect....

James

I have pulled several building permits in my town in Massachusetts (pop. >40,000) and never had any trouble. I will be pulling the permit for a Jotul Kennebec installation next month, but the install will be done by the stove shop where I bought the insert. The stove shop/installer wants me to pull the permit instead of them, which seemed to be the case for all the shops where I got quotes.

It would be a good idea to meet the local building inspector during your permit application process, if possible. You might have to call and make an appointment, but it's worth it. For one, you establish a relationship with the inspector before the final inspection. Second, you can prepare a list of questions to ask your inspector during your meeting. By doing this you can get a feel for what the inspector expects in your install, whether you need intermediate inspections or just one final one, etc.

Yesterday I stumbled upon an article on the Mass. Dept. of Public Safety web site, Use of Wood-Burning Stoves and Other Solid Fuel-Burning Heating Appliances. It has a good checklist of things you should be doing.

author="therm" date="1198117473"]
It would be a good idea to meet the local building inspector during your permit application process, if possible. You might have to call and make an appointment, but it's worth it. For one, you establish a relationship with the inspector before the final inspection. Second, you can prepare a list of questions to ask your inspector during your meeting. By doing this you can get a feel for what the inspector expects in your install, whether you need intermediate inspections or just one final one, etc.

Good point Therm,

Ask them specificly if the specs will meet their approval. They may want to add some things and
this way you know exactly what they will be looking for.

just a few points;
1. if DIY were not allowed, home depot would be bankrupt by now, homeowners in most every jures diction i have experience with can be their own contractors, however inspection must follow with most items by a liscenced inspector.

2. duravent is a wonderful product , we use it extensively most of the pipe in our test lab (except the custom stuff for the dilution tunnel) is duravent , its all ive ever used in my home as well as relatives who i have done installations for. i would recommend it to anyone.

Wow, I had no idea some places were this complicated. We bought our house a couple years ago in a very small, rural, blue collar area. When I inquired about the installation at the town hall, the build inspector (also a couple other positions there) said just follow the instructions and he was happy. No permits, nothing. Easy Peasy.

stoveguy2esw said:
just a few points;
1. if DIY were not allowed, home depot would be bankrupt by now, homeowners in most every jures diction i have experience with can be their own contractors, however inspection must follow with most items by a liscenced inspector.

Yep.. in MOST localities this is true. But when you have high-rise buildings, row houses, and structures that are less than 10' away from each other, safety wins out with renovations dealing with HVAC, electrical, plumbing... only makes common sense!

Hi, I was going to say If you are planning to sell your house in 2-4 years this is a terrible investment but I guess it is too late for that. But realize that the next owner may just rip the whole thing out and be annoyed with you for making holes in the house. At our previous home the new owners took great trouble to kill thousands of plants we had put in, plus 10 fruit trees, and several other large trees that were there before us, as well as rip out the oak parquet flooring we had put into two rooms. What you like, the next people might not like, and if it is a small home, you are losing some of the space. I wouldn't put a wood stove into a house I was only going to live in for about 3 years.

That said, I would also recommend you put the chimney inside. If necessary, have a bend in the stovepipe to get the chimney in the room upstairs in the best possible, i.e., out of the way, location. We have two 45 degree angle bends to get the chimney in the room overhead quite near a corner of the room, so that it doesn't take over the space too much. As a plus, you get that room heated by the chimney pipe. (If it is too warm just close the door and rely on the chimney heat and not the air going upstairs.) We have about 20 feet of pretty double walled SS chimney going through an upstairs and attic and on the roof. We built our own hearth, but agreed that a professional installation for the stove etc. was best for us. The materials and installation part of our stove, not including the stove itself or the hearth materials we bought, cost about $2K. If BF is a carpenter that suggests to me you can do the installation yourself. The hardest part for us would have been carrying in and lifting the 400# stove up onto the hearth (ours is raised about 2 feet.)

If you get the supervent pipe at lowes, open the boxes and inspect the pipes before buying. 90% of them are dented. There isn't much protection in those boxes. The Home depot in Shirley has some of the Simpson Duravent chimney pipe and through the wall kits. Don't expect anyone working there to have any clue about the pipe or an install. I've heard the Duravent is the only chimney pipe that will withstand a chimney fire and be usable again after.

Here in Suffolk Co most stove installs as well as decks, fences, sheds, etc are done w/o permits. I think most are afraid of their crazy high taxes going up even more. The gov will seize any opportunity to do so.

What an AWESOME thread!!!! Thank you! :D I too got the line of crap from a dirt bag installer about having a pro do it, etc. I am SO happy to have found this place!

Just wanted to say thank you!

Oh! I wanted to add that in this last issue of JLC (Journal of Light Construction) there was an article about a bunch of officials in the building department of some county (yours?) going to jail for what seems like the corrupt BS you were being told... ask BF if he gets that mag, probably does -- or I can fish the article out.

Pete

Thanks, everyone!! I'm just getting back to the computer after hosting the holiday. Sorry it's been so long.

SLIT- I asked around a bit and most people around here, at least right now, see the stove as benefit, both from a heating and an aesthetic view. I hope it turns out that way. I really have nothing to lose, since it should pay for itself in one or possibly two seasons. Oh and we lifted the stove out of the pickup and carried it onto the porch, so I hope we'll make it onto the hearth. It's on a platform, so it shouldn't be as high as yours.

With Christmas and the preparation, along with the town's closed days, I haven't been able to get the papers back to them. Hopefully, tomorrow, if we get the sketch of the interior placement done tonight. I figure they're probably not going to do much with it until after New Years, so may as well take the time and get it right.

I will definitely see if it's possible for me to meet with the inspector. It'd be an added bonus to know whether the UL code number difference is going to be an issue.

I'll also ask about the mag. That sounds like an interesting article.

Thanks again, everybody!!

Tone- I almost forgot, the woman at the town did say they do few of these. I can't imagine the horror of trying to sell if there's not appropriate approvals. Purchaser's attorneys and, even more so, lenders, are pretty on top of these things and a closing could be put off quite awhile.

But, even though I fear that, and the already ridiculous taxes, my biggest fear would be the insurance company in the event of ANY kind of fire. Believe me, I'd much rather avoid the permit/approval process. :lol:

I'm not sure if a wood stove appreciates a home and causes tax increases or not. Decks definitely do and that's why so many are done without permits. I just bought my house last Spring. The deck had no c/o and was definitely not built to code as per my engineer. It's shot and needs replacing. It wasn't mentioned in the contract and so was overlooked by the bank's inspector as per my Realtor. It didn't slow things down. But yes, I'd make sure that you're covered by insurance if God forbid a fire occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.