Hello and question about flames

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken L

Nov 30, 2015
Maine
Hello everyone. I live in Maine and have been burning for 4-5 years with a big old monster in the basement. It served its purpose, but I was looking for something more efficient. This year I finally upgraded and put a Jotul F45 in our living room (instead of the basement). So far there is a learning curve, but things are going well. Getting nice fires and heating the house nicely (although it's been very warm here lately). I've been using the stove for about 3 weeks.

My question is: how long can I expect there to be active flames in the firebox? Right now I see active flames for around 3 hours (maybe a tad less), then low blue flames for a while, then large chunks of coals for a few hours. Not sure if this is normal. On one hand I am getting good heat and still have coals in the am, but I'd also like those flames to last a while longer.

Right now when I reload I get the stove top temp up to 300-400F and slowly close the air intake when I have nice rolling flames. I close it about a quarter of the way each time and usually wait 5-10 before closing it the next time.

Is what I'm experiencing normal? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Ken

Welcome Ken. Yes that sounds about right for the F45. That is a small firebox as compared to its big brother the F55. You're doing fine except that you might wait until the stove top drops to 250-300F before reloading. To burn down the coals open up the air to about 50% and put a couple thin splits (2-3") on the coal bed. The extra air will help burn down the coals quicker and the splits will provide some heat and flame while doing so. Reloading in a hot stove with a large coal bed can lead to shorter burn times and coal bed buildup.

Welcome Ken. Yes that sounds about right for the F45. That is a small firebox as compared to its big brother the F55. You're doing fine except that you might wait until the stove top drops to 250-300F before reloading. To burn down the coals open up the air to about 50% and put a couple thin splits (2-3") on the coal bed. The extra air will help burn down the coals quicker and the splits will provide some heat and flame while doing so. Reloading in a hot stove with a large coal bed can lead to shorter burn times and coal bed buildup.

Thanks for your response. Just wanted to make sure it was normal. On a side note, can I move the air intake lever all the way to the left (turned all the way down) for extended burns? It's as far as the air intake will move to the closed position. Not sure if the stove was designed to run that way.

Thanks,
Ken

That will depend on a lot of variables. Some of these are dryness of the wood, wood species, draft strength, outside temps and stage of fire. You will have to experiment. As long as the fire is not smoldering it should be ok.

That will depend on a lot of variables. Some of these are dryness of the wood, wood species, draft strength, outside temps and stage of fire. You will have to experiment. As long as the fire is not smoldering it should be ok.
OK, thanks for your help!

Sounds like you're doing quite well in terms of heat and stove operation . . . times seem normal from what I've read from other users of this stove.

can I move the air intake lever all the way to the left (turned all the way down) for extended burns?
I haven't run tube stoves but I'd think that as long as there's no smoke coming out of the stack, you aren't running the air too low. Of course later in the burn there won't be as much smoke coming off the wood as it moves into the coaling stage.

Thanks for all the advice! I figured I was doing OK with active flames, clean glass, tan fire bricks, and no chimney smoke, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something or wasting energy.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.