Hello, and tampering with a QF Castile...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

opinion914

Oct 6, 2011
NY
Wanted to introduce myself with a 'lil question... I've been intrigued by reading of the 10% adjustment one can do on their Quadra-Fire Castile. Having one of these models and not having a large flame at all I wanted to try it. Come to find out, I have an older gray control box with no dial from one to 7 on it. It DOES however coincidentally have a set of pins located externally that use a jumper. Said pins are labeled 1 to 7. Has anyone determined if these pins do the same thing as the dial on the clear boxes with the blue light? I'm not going to lie, I tried it already and didn't notice a substantial difference in heat or flame height.

Also, the topic of burning corn intrigues me. I'm pretty sure I can source it locally but reading my exhaust flue it mentions "not for corn". Does corn burn at a higher temp or is there a concern with build-up that Simpson would stamp this on the pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I don't know anything on the control box, But can answer the question on the vent. Corn burns with more corrosives in the exhaust gases. Standard pellet vent is usually 304 or 306SS. Corn vent is 316SS and is better at withstanding the corrosive gases.

opinion914 said:
Wanted to introduce myself with a 'lil question... I've been intrigued by reading of the 10% adjustment one can do on their Quadra-Fire Castile. Having one of these models and not having a large flame at all I wanted to try it. Come to find out, I have an older gray control box with no dial from one to 7 on it. It DOES however coincidentally have a set of pins located externally that use a jumper. Said pins are labeled 1 to 7. Has anyone determined if these pins do the same thing as the dial on the clear boxes with the blue light? I'm not going to lie, I tried it already and didn't notice a substantial difference in heat or flame height.

Also, the topic of burning corn intrigues me. I'm pretty sure I can source it locally but reading my exhaust flue it mentions "not for corn". Does corn burn at a higher temp or is there a concern with build-up that Simpson would stamp this on the pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Don't know anything about the Quads, except what I've read on here.
I DO however, know that the exhaust when burning corn is extremely corrosive, that's why they make a special pipe for it.
Ooooops, guess you type faster than me, Jay

Try Iburncorn.com they have brand specific sections. There is a Quadrafire technicion in the Quad section that goes by the handle Kap. Hes always more then happy to help.

As far as burning corn goes, the big box stores sell Selkirk and it is rated for corn, at least the one here sells it.bn

Much appreciated. Corrosive corn makes sense. I know what the ethanol in the fuel up here has done to the seals on my motorcycles fuel system so i don't doubt it in the least. I'll check out iburncorn for more info on the control box. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.