Hello and tree id help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
Hello

Great forum!

Ended up scoring some free rounds from a co-workers downed trees that he had cut up.

One was a shag bark hickory and the other two I do not know.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 327
oak and ash

Long round laying down looks like ash. That will season in 4 months after splitting. Keep it separate from the oak which will be available to burn to its potential in 2012.

I rented a 27 ton splitter today and got the job done in quick time. First time using a splitter. Very impressed!

The round to the left was very wet and split very stringy, while the one to to the right split nice and even down the middle.

Here is the hickory that I ended up splitting.

I didn't know if the round being hollow would be worth splitting but I thought why not.

When I split the hickory gobs of black ant looking insects came pooring out of the middle of the round. Some had wings. Does anybody know if this would be termites or just ants?

Also, would you split and stack a hollowed out bug infested round like this?

Attachments

• IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 315
andyrlee said:
When I split the hickory gobs of black ant looking insects came pooring out of the middle of the round. Some had wings. Does anybody know if this would be termites or just ants?

Also, would you split and stack a hollowed out bug infested round like this?

I would, and have. Stacked after the ants were all gone, though. They were almost certainly carpenter ants, termites would be smaller and mostly white.

Yes carpenter ants the ones with wings are the scout ants that go out and look for new nest sites. They seem to love the dead oaks.
I assume they were all dead if so stack in a location away from all other wood and burn as soon as possible.
Nice haul!

Those were carpenter ants. I'd split the wood, trying to split small and open up any of the ant tunnels, and leave the splits laying around in the open. Ants will generally abandon ship once the wood is split. After a couple of days, check for ants again and stack if you don't see any.

Left pic is White Ash. Right pick ooks like oak, maybe Black oak or a White Oak with dark heartwood.

Welcome to the forum Andy.

By the looks of that ash, you haven't been hit hard yet by the ash borer. When you get hit hard, you will have lots of good ash firewood. Also, you will find that the ash will be the first that is ready to burn.

On the carpenter ants, they will leave but I hope you did not have them close to any buildings. They can be nasty to get rid of.

Luckily, the ants were mostly dead with a few barely moving, so I don't think they moved far. The nights in Wisconsin are starting to get in the 30's for temp. Warm this year.

Luckily, the ants were mostly dead with a few barely moving, so I don't think they moved far.

The nights in Wisconsin are starting to get in the low 30's for temp. which probably killed the rest.

It's warm this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.