Hello and wanting suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydog1976

Jan 18, 2014
Ohio
First off I want to say Hi being new to the forum. I have been on this forum for months ever since my wife and I decided to replace our existing fireplace with a wood burning fireplace insert. This is a really great forum and everyone seems very helpful and respectful which I like.

Here is our dilemma. We just purchased a PE Super 27 wood burning fireplace insert and have used it for a couple days now. Based on our 1600 square foot home it should be adequate. However, we have vaulted ceilings without ceiling fans unfortunately. There is however one ceiling fan in the loft area. It gets pretty warm in the loft due to the heat rising. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to send that air back down. I know I need to add some ceiling fans but in the mean time what should I do. I have attached crude diagram of my living area. Thanks

jaydog1976

Attachments

• 20140118_042102[1].jpg
    20140118_042102[1].jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 91
Get a cheap digital thermometer & place it where you think you want more heat(center of the great room I assume). Try the loft fan on all three speeds at 2 hours each while the stove is cruising. Then reverse it(I hope it has reverse) and repeat the test. Write down any temp change then stick with the speed/direction that did the best.

Like me, most run fans on reverse and slow, but others here have found that the normal direction works better in their floorplan. Every house is different, but as you stated, a fan or two in the great room will most likely help.

Is your wood two years cut/split and are you running any thermo's on the insert to know what your burn temps are? Is there a block off plate installed in your chimney?

And...Welcome to the madness>........!

Ceiling fan will be most bag for the buck.

If you have a forced air system in addition to the stove, you can set the blower on the furnace to always on. That will help to circulate the air and break up the warm pocket of air at the peak.

I'll bet it's toasty up in the loft. In lieu of a ceiling fan, take a 12" table fan, placed on the floor in the coldest corner of the room and point it up to the center of the ceiling. That won't be perfect but it should help stir up some of the stratified hot air at the peak of the ceiling.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to be trying all of these ideas. Ultimately the ceiling fan is the best. I just have to get myself out and get one. Shouldn't be too difficult for me to install one. I think I see a weekend project starting to form. Again thanks all for the ideas.

jaydog1976

First off I want to say Hi being new to the forum. I have been on this forum for months ever since my wife and I decided to replace our existing fireplace with a wood burning fireplace insert. This is a really great forum and everyone seems very helpful and respectful which I like.

Here is our dilemma. We just purchased a PE Super 27 wood burning fireplace insert and have used it for a couple days now. Based on our 1600 square foot home it should be adequate. However, we have vaulted ceilings without ceiling fans unfortunately. There is however one ceiling fan in the loft area. It gets pretty warm in the loft due to the heat rising. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to send that air back down. I know
I need to add some ceiling fans but in the mean time what should I do. I have attached crude diagram of my living area. Thanks

jaydog1976

Winner winner chicken dinner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.