Hello from a woodstove insert noob

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rylsetter

Jan 6, 2015
Western Tennessee
Just wanted to say hello, and say thanks to everyone for all the info here. We recently moved here to Western TN from NJ. Our new home has a nice, big masonry fireplace at one end of the house, but it really does little to heat our home. The heat-pump seems to work harder when the fireplace is burning, fairly typical I guess. So, we've made the decision to get an insert. The more I've researched the harder the decision has been on what insert to buy.

I've decided on a LOPI 1750I, with installation in about a week. (wish it was sooner, they're calling for 6 degrees tomorrow night.) The house is 1500+ sq ft, and well insulated. The stove will mainly be used to heat the main living area, about 800sq ft. There's also a 20' hall down to the master bedroom, with the other rooms closed. I'm hoping the 1750 will be ok for this task. I was afraid anything larger would chase us out of the main living area.

I've no real questions yet, just hoping the LOPI is a good choice. All the info I've found here will help as I learn to use the stove. Just hoping I don't have to post in a panic if things get out of hand. :)

Beware the closed off bedrooms. You probably want to open those doors at least a couple times a day.

I know beans about inserts, but some kind of fan arrangement to push cold air along the floor from the bedroom towards the sto - insert might be welcome.

Most fireplaces are poor heaters, as you know. Good luck with your insert, it will be a massive improvement over your fireplace.

Welcome. Wish you the best of luck with your new insert.

I'm sure someone will give you the dry wood speech but it really does make a huge difference. Dry wood will make the difference between you loving or being frustrated with your new insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.