Hello Gas Burners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a little insight from some of you experienced gas folks.I've been using a Harman pellet stove for around nine years.The stove with its four motors and myself are getting up in years.Don't get me wrong I love the pellet stove and the heat it puts out.Lets face it, there is some mess and work to a pellet stove.
With the above said, I'm considering up grading my stove to an pellet or gas insert or hearth stove. I know nothing about a gas inserts other than what I've read here.How is the Homedepot /Lowes?
I live in Tennessee where electricity and gas is very reasonable compared to other parts of the country.So I imagine gas would be cheaper and A LOT simpler. than pellets...
Thanks,
Tony.

I installed a pellet insert and a Regency (natural) Gas insert at the same time (in 2 different houses). You are right about the work for the pellet stove and I chose the gas insert for my mom for the convenience of getting a remote-controlled, easy to use, appliance.

Serves her perfectly. Push a button, adjust the remote's settings (heat level, fan level, or temp (at your location - where the remote is) if on automatic. She loves the large window and chose the crystals for their look.

I had a generator transfer switch put in for the gas insert and furnace and can run them on backup power if needed.

During my pellet insert install, I had a gas line installed in the back of the fire box - so that when the time comes, and I don't want to lug 40 lb bags of pellets around, I can just install a gas insert and be able to 'push a button to get comfort' as needed.

I cleaned the gas insert the other day. Needed to be done per the manual as there are certain things that outgass after the first firings. Easy to remove window, enameled sides, all wiped clean easily and that is probably the only cleaning I'll need to do for years.

About 31K BTUs and about 84% efficient. Installer lined the chimney as required by the manufacturer.

If you've got the gas (I had it installed and changed from oil to gas) it is a great way to provide supplemental heat.

I installed a pellet insert and a Regency (natural) Gas insert at the same time (in 2 different houses). You are right about the work for the pellet stove and I chose the gas insert for my mom for the convenience of getting a remote-controlled, easy to use, appliance.

Serves her perfectly. Push a button, adjust the remote's settings (heat level, fan level, or temp (at your location - where the remote is) if on automatic. She loves the large window and chose the crystals for their look.

I had a generator transfer switch put in for the gas insert and furnace and can run them on backup power if needed.

During my pellet insert install, I had a gas line installed in the back of the fire box - so that when the time comes, and I don't want to lug 40 lb bags of pellets around, I can just install a gas insert and be able to 'push a button to get comfort' as needed.

I cleaned the gas insert the other day. Needed to be done per the manual as there are certain things that outgass after the first firings. Easy to remove window, enameled sides, all wiped clean easily and that is probably the only cleaning I'll need to do for years.

About 31K BTUs and about 84% efficient. Installer lined the chimney as required by the manufacturer.

If you've got the gas (I had it installed and changed from oil to gas) it is a great way to provide supplemental heat.

Thanks Ray, I've found two I like the looks.A Regency Excalibur EX-33 and a Heat & Glo 6000CLX.I'm sure there are others to compare with.Called the Regency dealer to get a ball park price.They said they'd have to come to my house to give a price.So they will go to the bottom of the pile.All I wanted was a retail list price to get started.I'm guessing around $2000.00?
Tony

Thanks Ray, I've found two I like the looks.A Regency Excalibur EX-33 and a Heat & Glo 6000CLX.I'm sure there are others to compare with.Called the Regency dealer to get a ball park price.They said they'd have to come to my house to give a price.So they will go to the bottom of the pile.All I wanted was a retail list price to get started.I'm guessing around $2000.00?
Tony
They come on site to measure your fireplace to make sure that the unit will properly fit and/or if you need the base extension. If you visit a showroom of a dealer, the prices are clearly displayed and install is usually a known fee (ballpark provided by them when asked).

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.