Hello, glad to find this site!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linc1216

Dec 6, 2014
Southern, New Jersey
I've been doing alot of online research and visited a few local dealers that sells pellet stove inserts. I was torn between the Quadra Fire and the Harman Accentra 52i. The determining factor was installation! The first dealer I went to offered a good price (DE sales tax free) but I'd have to get someone to install the stove. I was given a list of installers that they suggested, which I called and was told $2,000.00.

I found a dealer not so far from where I live (NJ) and they do their own installation if stove is purchased from them. Now, what I find interesting is... I must have a level 2 inspection prior to installation ($240) and someone from the dealership will be coming to my home for a site inspection. That's included in the stove cost. I was told to see if the Harman Accentra 52i would be right for my home. The total cost for everything minus level 2 inspection is $ 5,891. Is this a reasonable price? I really want this stove to replace my woodstove insert that I've had since the late 80's.

Okay, thanks for reading and stay warm!

I've been doing alot of online research and visited a few local dealers that sells pellet stove inserts. I was torn between the Quadra Fire and the Harman Accentra 52i. The determining factor was installation! The first dealer I went to offered a good price (DE sales tax free) but I'd have to get someone to install the stove. I was given a list of installers that they suggested, which I called and was told $2,000.00.

I found a dealer not so far from where I live (NJ) and they do their own installation if stove is purchased from them. Now, what I find interesting is... I must have a level 2 inspection prior to installation ($240) and someone from the dealership will be coming to my home for a site inspection. That's included in the stove cost. I was told to see if the Harman Accentra 52i would be right for my home. The total cost for everything minus level 2 inspection is $ 5,891. Is this a reasonable price? I really want this stove to replace my woodstove insert that I've had since the late 80's.

my cost for a Harman free standing P61A was 3700.00.
adding all the trim package, Installation including the OAK and the floor stand the total was 5,000.00.
Was just home from Hospital operation so I relented to let them do the whole shebang.. Included 2 tons Pellets free with stove purchase.

Just had mine installed in June with the brown enamel $5200 and welcome to the site.

i'm guessing an insert is a bigger job than a freestanding.
$2000 just for labor? or did that include the pipe too? (i realize $2000 was the first quote)

what's the price of the stove?

Reactions: bogieb
So, you really like the Accentra 52i? I didn't get a chance to see a functioning unit and really wanted to know how loud is the stove, any regrets?

i'm guessing an insert is a bigger job than a freestanding.
$2000 just for labor? or does that include the pipe too?

what's the price of the stove?

Everything included with the installation per contractor. But, I was never told of needing a level 2 inspection of my chimney.

cost of venting can add up quick.
i'd be interested on how much the pipe costs to figure out what they are charging for labor.

i think we paid maybe $600 in labor and they brought the stove up from bangor.

* just checked. we paid $440 labor from a licensed bonded tech. mcveetys in maine subs installs out to him
he even brought his helper along.

Last edited:
So, you really like the Accentra 52i? I didn't get a chance to see a functioning unit and really wanted to know how loud is the stove, any regrets?
I love mine no regrets I stacked it against every stove available when I was shopping. the stove is fairly quiet when operating when the fans run on high they make noise kinda like the noise you would get from a window air conditioner.but they cycle and only run on high for a few seconds and back to low as for me I feel overal it's pretty quiet.

Welcome aboard. I have a Harman Accentra insert. Love it! So will you! Before you get an install be SURE to do your homework. Ask questions and BE THERE FOR IT! We're all happy to help. Harman has a bit of a learning curve but IMNTBHO it's the Rolls Royce of stoves and it's versatility can't be matched. Of course I've had this puppy for seven seasons now and I'm obviously prejudiced. Thing controls my temp to +/- a degree and has cost me a mere 78 bucks for an igniter in that time. As for sound, blower noise is dependent on speed but mine's on now and I'm watching football with the TV 24 feet ftom the stove. My only regret is that the wife won't let me put one in the bedroom. Oh and for the install go with the dealer. Two grand is high under most circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big papa
I used to own a wood stove all the work involved to keep a wood stove going can be demanding in your spare time.the accentra is very easy to use and maintain I joke with my wife now telling here I'm bored and can't wait til it's cleaning time for the new stove.ive been working 13 hour days and I fill the hopper and come home to the stove purring away just the way I left it in the morning that's priceless to me when it's busy at work.

Reactions: F4jock
Got my 52i installed in mid October 2014. Install price was right around 1000 everything included. Stove was about $4000. This is in greater boston area, Massachusetts.

I have a Harman Accentra insert. Love it! So will you! Before you get an install be SURE to do your homework. Ask questions and BE THERE FOR IT! We're all happy to help. Harman has a bit of a learning curve but IMNTBHO it's the Rolls Royce of stoves and it's versatility can't be matched. Of course I'be had this puppy for seven seasons now and I'm obviously prejudiced. Thing controls my temp to +/- a degree and has cost me a mere 78 bucks for an igniter in that time. As for sound, blower noise is dependent on speed but mine's on now and I'm watching football with the TV 24 feet ftom the stove. My only regret is that the wife won't let me put one in the bedroom.
I used to own a wood stove all the work involved to keep a wood stove going can be demanding in your spare time.the accentra is very easy to use and maintain I joke with my wife now telling here I'm bored and can't wait til it's cleaning time for the new stove.ive been working 13 hour days and I fill the hopper and come home to the stove purring away just the way I left it in the morning that's priceless to me when it's busy at work.
X2

Reactions: Big papa
$4700 for insert, pipe, install and rail kit last March. I would think with the price of oil, there should be some deals...?

Anther thing you can do is call around and see if there is a dealer near you that has one on display to look at listen to you don't nessisarily have to buy from them but will give you an idea how it sounds .at least that's what I had to do ended up buying from the dealer that had the display model though

I love mine no regrets I stacked it against every stove available when I was shopping. the stove is fairly quiet when operating when the fans run on high they make noise kinda like the noise you would get from a window air conditioner.but they cycle and only run on high for a few seconds and back to low as for me I feel overal it's pretty quiet.

Glad to read that. My stove should be installed either the end of this month or the beginning of the new year. I just hope the blower is much more quieter than my woodstove inserts blower. But then again... that really doesn't bother me. I just wanted to transition to something easier than wood. I purchased a pellet basket online about 5 years ago and like it. But, the constant refilling is a drag.

Glad to read that. My stove should be installed either the end of this month or the beginning of the new year. I just hope the blower is much more quieter than my woodstove inserts blower. But then again... that really doesn't bother me. I just wanted to transition to something easier than wood. I purchased a pellet basket online about 5 years ago and like it. But, the constant refilling is a drag.
the accentra has a 67lb hopper the most it can burn is 5lbs an hour so that's 12 hours before a refill and that's running on high full tilt all day doubt you will ever see it do that

the accentra has a 67lb hopper the most it can burn is 5lbs an hour so that's 12 hours before a refill and that's running on high full tilt all day doubt you will ever see it do that

I had read on the Harman site that it can run 55 hrs. without refilling the hopper. Also, do you know anything regarding Pennington's pellets. I get them from my local Walmart. Are they good for this stove?

Sorry, but that stove will not run 55 hours w/out a refill - not even in July.

Reactions: bogieb
The hours to run what any stove advertises is on the low setting. If you have it on full blast, the run time will be a lot shorter (the 12 hours that Big Papa mentioned).

Haven't used Pennington's but someone on this forum has said that they run so badly in his/her stove that they are kept only to soak up spills (oil and such). However, Harman's will normally self-adjust for any pellet, it's just a matter of how much ash and heat it produces. Look at your local Home Depot and see if they have something different. Try a few bags of different pellets until the performance versus cost is what you are happy with. Also, your Wally World may have Maine's Best premium hardwood - my Harman P61A likes that stuff okay, and if I remember correctly, is less expensive than the Pennington's. But, like I said, experiment until you hit the combination you are good with.

Oh yeah, and most of the hours that they advertise for stoves are on the optimistic side - even if you have it on the lowest setting.

I had read on the Harman site that it can run 55 hrs. without refilling the hopper. Also, do you know anything regarding Pennington's pellets. I get them from my local Walmart. Are they good for this stove?
It was me trying to use Penningtons. Twice I tried in two different years. If all else maybe. But an insert is going to need a bit more attention to cleaning so why speed up or make more work by burning dirty fuel for a few dollars savings.

Reactions: linc1216 and bogieb
Great news! I listed my Energy King 2000C, wood stove insert on craigslist last Tuesday and a few hours after my posting, someone called asking about the stove. I was asking $300 for it. In fact, when I received the call I was using it. Anyway yesterday, (Thursday) the local buyer came to my house with 4 other men, he inspected the inside and offered me $225. I said SOLD! I'm just glad the wood stove is gone, so I wouldn't be charged to have it removed and taken away when my new Accentra 52i arrives. Although, I must say I miss its heat right about now. It's freezing here in Jersey!

This coming Tuesday (Dec. 16) I'll have my chimney swept and the level 2 inspection with video done. The on site home inspection required by the dealership was done this past Monday and it was suggested that I change my home thermostat and get one that automatically returns cold air. I asked about the OAK and was told with inserts that wasn't needed, (any comments regarding this is welcomed). So, I paid for my pellet stove on Wednesday and its been ordered. The dealer said it should arrive sometime next week. However, installation will be delayed due to the upcoming holiday.

One more question for the Accentra 52i folks... I've been reading mega posting on this website regarding PELLETS. I've come to the conclusion what's good for one make of stove isn't necessarily good for another. Some people report good burns with certain brands and others complain about that same brand of pellets. Here where I live, I see as my obtainable option Pennington and Lignetic pellets. From reading it seems as if Lignetic is the better. Okay, thanks for reading and whenever my stove is installed I will definitely post up my pictures.

Every Harman owner will tell you the stove burns just about anything (I guess so) the difference is in the cleaning and heat output. Some pellets have more/less ash and some pellets are hotter than others. The one thing I will say, having rolled out my Harman insert for a cleaning (behind the scenes), I envy the free standers and especially those with a 2' pipe out the wall! Generally speaking, there is a lot of hype with pellet stoves... My experiance is that they are inherently nasty to clean with an almost talc like soot... I'd rather clean a wood stove any day and more than be happy to pay the oil tech guy even more. This said, I'm glad I at least have the Harman as it is suppose to be the easiest to maintain. But all in all, this isn't saying much in the scheme of things.

Every Harman owner will tell you the stove burns just about anything (I guess so) the difference is in the cleaning and heat output. Some pellets have more/less ash and some pellets are hotter than others. The one thing I will say, having rolled out my Harman insert for a cleaning (behind the scenes), I envy the free standers and especially those with a 2' pipe out the wall! Generally speaking, there is a lot of hype with pellet stoves... My experiance is that they are inherently nasty to clean with an almost talc like soot... I'd rather clean a wood stove any day and more than be happy to pay the oil tech guy even more. This said, I'm glad I at least have the Harman as it is suppose to be the easiest to maintain. But all in all, this isn't saying much in the scheme of things.
have to say that a free standing pellet stove[Harman included] appears to be easier to clean.
I have watched youtube video's of Insert cleaning and quite a few more steps involved it seems.
as for pellets, last year I burned HD Stove chows and although very hot, they are mounds of Ash city but if u vacuum your stove periodically, it;s not a deal breaker.
that said, I got hold of some Blazers this year. Douglas Fir from Oregon..
all I can say is now I know why pellet burners go bonkers over super low ash pellets...
between those and the Energex Golden Pellets 0.5 ash, I may be able to go couple months or more[which I won't ] without heavy cleaning..barely any ash with those Goldens & Blazers. 9200 BTU's to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.