Hello! Homestead liner question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning07

Dec 16, 2009
"Southwest VA"
Just wanted to introduce myself, been lurking around for a long while now, thanks for all the help. I purchased a Hearthstone Homestead last week, the dealer is holding it for me until I get some work done. It's going in a well insulated basement in a 12x16 room, I hope to leave the basement door open and get some heat upstairs, I'll see how it goes, if it doesn't heat as much as needed upstairs I've got an open fireplace on the main floor I'll do something with. I'm new to wood burning so I'm sure I'll have lot's more questions as time goes on but for now I'm wondering about opinions on the liner. I've got a new masonry chimney with a never used 8x12 flue, 8" thimble for the stove, interior chimney 35 ft. tall. this is a tight well insulated log home. I'd like your opinions on the following:

Should I insulate the 6" flex liner or possibly use spacers instead? I do have a 45 degree offset in the flue, I don't know what that may do to insulation as I pull it through. Do you think I'll need a damper in the stovepipe with a chimney this tall? Is anyone familiar with the Flex King Pro liner, it's more expensive than most, do you think it's worth the money? My thimble isn't centered in the chimney, to center my stove I need to put a 45 in my stovepipe, can this affect stove performance. (the thimble is 4 ft off the floor, it will be a short run) Does the stovepipe collar need to form a tight seal on the clay thimble or does it just sit against it. I built my home from scratch over a 10 year period and my marriage even survived so I feel pretty comfortable doing this myself, the price for stove delivery and installation was about 4-500 dollars so I can't imagine what someone would charge for the liner installation on a 12/12 pitch cedar shake roof. ( 38 squares of shake put on by myself, I wouldn't do it again) I leaned towards a Jotul stove for a long time but really liked the idea of soapstone, I hope I don't regret it. Thanks in advance for the help, this is a great site, I don't know anywhere else that has this much knowledge in one place. I'll post some pictures when I'm up and running, wish me luck!

Linehand

Hi - I'm afraid i can be of no help with your stove. However, your topic title (Hello) may not generate the kind of response you need. May i suggest if you don't get any responses that you try again with a title like, "hearthstone install help needed" or something to that effect. I have learned that the more specific you can be in the topic the more likely you are to get the help you need. I do wish you luck with your new stove and hope you find some help!

Heidi

updated the title to attract a more appropriate response. With that tall, new interior chimney, I would probably skip the liner and maybe even downsize to 5.5" though I expect there will be those who disagree.

linehand,
can't help with the question, but we just got a new Homestead two months ago, and we love it--in fact, I've been running around this site praising its merits. Currently 70 inside after a 6-hour burn and 6* temps outside!

By the way, it sounds like you've got a similar situation as mine (stove in lower-level and upper-level) and, although we would get some heat upstairs, the stove was more suited to heat the room and area it was in.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.