Hello New guy here need some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeB

Jan 24, 2014
Ky
I just purchased a used craft stove insert that i want to put in my shop. It vent out the top through a rectangular opening. It has two door with glass in them no model number that i can find. Also it does have a blower on it. Ive been looking at this forum some and realized how little i know. I have little experience with wood heat despite the fact that I am a plumbing HVAC guy for 20 yrs. Gas furnace, Oil burner, or heat pump I know Wood burners i do not. My plan is to put legs on it get it up off the floor. When it comes to venting it i had planned to build an adapter to convert it to a 6" round pipe go up a little then elbow out the wall and outside to a 8" steel chimney that would be approximately 20 ft tall. is this ok or should i go straight up off the heater through the ceiling then terminate the roof? i would prefer the first idea. After reading a little on here i see some things about cold chimney causing problems. So im here asking for help seems there are some good seasoned people on here. Thanks in advance.

That sounds fine. You're going horizontal a short distance but than a 20' rise will give plenty of draft. Some will frown at going to a 8" pipe, I see no real problem. I'm guessing the vent on the stove add up to approx 6" is the reason you're not going to 8" from the start.

I don't think you'll have problem with build up in the upright stack, however you will be able to check that as time goes on and clean it if necessary.
Post a picture when you finish the install, if it isn't too much of a problem. Have a warm winter.

Richard

This is an insert that never was designed to be a freestanding stove. It will need 36" of clearance in all directions and should be on a concrete floor. The flue should stay 8" all the way. Outside there needs to be a class A chimney, not just a steel pipe. A proper thimble needs to be used going through the wall.

well said begreen

Greetings Lee, I have an Nordic insert I installed at the lower ranch a couple years back, it works very well. Inserts are double walled most often, and permit them to be installed closer to the wall, and have a fan to move the warm air cooling the baffle.

I also have a Buck insert that I plan to add new sealing rope to and install up here at the mountain ranch while I so some work on the centennial which I love.
It will be great having a stove in your shop. The first stove I had was a barrel stove I made at work it worked well, still have it sitting out back.

Good luck, stay warm.

Richard

Is you shop metal walled?

Status
Not open for further replies.