Hello, new here- couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. My name is Rob, I'm 34 from Cleveland, Ohio. I just recently had a Hearthstone Craftsbury installed with a 6" Duravent chimney and double wall flue pipe.

I did some searching here and it sounds like I'm having performance issues similar to those that have shorter than expected burn times. I live on top of a windy hill and have a 15' flue/chimney and an outside air adapter to the stove. I have a strong draft once the the stove gets heated. In approx 3.5 hrs I burn about 4 to 5 12" pieces of birch with the air control about half open. Do I need a damper installed? Also I noticed that the window stays clean except near the corners- is this normal? Thanks.

The burn times spouted by the manufacturers will be for a fire box that's loaded as full as you can get it with a high BTU wood (not that Birch is that bad at all). 4 to 5 12" pieces isn't going to last long - surprised it's as long as that. What temps are you seeing?

And, welcome.

Ahh ok, makes sense. I don't have a temp gauge for my stove, I suppose I should invest in one. It gets hot, but I wouldn't say its hotter than 300-400F.

Yep, get yourself a stovetop one, and absorb all the great information on these forums.

Will do! Thanks.

Yeah, I'd say you were doing pretty good with 12" splits. I do the same with 16-18" splits at 50% air supply.

That's good. Also, is it better to reload after the fire is almost reduced to coals or before that occurs?

My name is Frank, I'm a MWM male 40 years young from Central NY.
Try running your stove with the damper closed 100% and see what kind of burns you get

I don't have a damper are you talking about the primary air control?

hearthstoneheat said:
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. My name is Rob, I'm 34 from Cleveland, Ohio. I just recently had a Hearthstone Craftsbury installed with a 6" Duravent chimney and double wall flue pipe. Hi Rob. My name is Jake and I have a problem. I enjoy burning firewood a little too much . . . oops wrong session/forum, let me try again . . . Hi Rob. My name is Jake. I'm 30 and from Unity, Maine. On my days off I enjoy ATVing, snowmobiling in season, long walks on the beach and cutting firewood . . . ;) :) All kidding aside, welcome to the forum.

I did some searching here and it sounds like I'm having performance issues I sometimes have performance issues too . . . but we won't get into that now ;) similar to those that have shorter than expected burn times. OK, OK . . . I'll get serious again . . . first off you probably realize by now that the burn times listed in the brochures and websites are not really all that precise . . . I mean to say the manufacturers when they come up with a burn time of 5-6 hours say are basing this on lab tests in ideal conditions with ideal wood . . . they do not factor in the size of a home, insulation, species of the wood, etc. . . . On top of this everyone's definition of burn time may be a bit different . . . is your definition of burn time based on the time you see flames to the time the flames are no longer seen . . . or maybe it's based on the time you get meaningful heat -- say 350 degrees stove top temp -- to the time the coals no longer deliver this meaningful heat . . . or maybe it's the time from when you light the kindlng on fire until there are no glowing coals left in the stove . . . as you can see there are many different definitions. I live on top of a windy hill and have a 15' flue/chimney and an outside air adapter to the stove. I have a strong draft once the the stove gets heated. In approx 3.5 hrs I burn about 4 to 5 12" pieces of birch with the air control about half open. Hmmm . . . not bad considering the small size of the firebox . . . however once you get your stove up to temp you should be able to close the air control even more . . . to the quarter mark or even fully closed . . . definitely get a stove top thermometer . . . it will let you know when you can start closing the air control and better achieve secondary combustion (which hopefully you have experienced already). Do I need a damper installed? Some folks do need dampers when they have to deal with windy conditions or very tall chimneys . . . I would get the thermometer first though since this will let you know when and when you should not close off the air to achieve secondary combustion . . . and then once you reach that temp and can achieve sustained secondary combustion see if you can close the air control less than the halfway mark . . . and see if that helps any . . . before installing a stove pipe damper. That said . . . dampers are typically pretty easy and cheap to install if you decide to go that route. Also I noticed that the window stays clean except near the corners- is this normal? The key to keeping your glass clean in my own opinion and experience is three-fold: 1) Burn seasoned wood -- burning green wood = black glass, 2) Burn at the proper hot temps -- without a thermometer you'll just be guessing if your stove is hot enough and 3) Keep wood from falling up against and resting on the glass -- this blocks the airwash and it will blacken. Oh yeah, I guess there is a fourth possibility . . . your gaskets could need replacing . . . which is easy to check with the dollar bill test. Thanks.

hearthstoneheat said:
I don't have a damper are you talking about the primary air control?

I believe that is what Franks is talking about . . . but just a guess on my part.

hearthstoneheat said:
That's good. Also, is it better to reload after the fire is almost reduced to coals or before that occurs?

Depends . . . in middle of January when I want to keep the heat pouring out . . . I will reload sooner rather than later . . . but normally I let the wood die down to coals . . . about the size of golfballs or baseballs before adding more fuel to the fire.

Thanks for the info and the chuckle Jake. lol I was considering burn time to be from first full sizec log to just hot bed of coals. I will get a stove top thermometer....what temp is needed to achieve secondary combustion? According to the user manual is says that keeping the primary air control closed(as you mentioned for secondary combustuion) can lead to creosote build up. Am I missing something here?

Welcome to the forum Rob.

You are probably doing fine with the stove and a thermometer will help. I believe Hearthstone says not to go over 600 degrees stovetop temperature. You should be able to run 500-550 with no problems.

On the reload, usually one waits until you are down to coals before adding wood. One problem if you start adding wood too soon is that, at least in winter when you need lots of heat and are constantly adding, sooner or later your coal bed will become too big, so you wait until it is all coals and even then sometimes you still have to burn those coals down before adding more wood.

You will learn soon that opening the draft as the wood burns down will help a lot. Just before all coals, we have our draft open full. This will help keep the heat up while burning down the coals to a manageable level. You will be able to see the difference in heat output of the stove once you get that thermometer.

On the thermometer: all thermometers are not created equal so be careful what you buy. We've had several and threw them out because they were so far off. Rutland supposedly has good ones. I've bought 2 from Woodstock and they are both good. Here is a link: Stove Thermometer

Thanks for the info and link Dennis.

hearthstoneheat said:
Thanks for the info and the chuckle Jake. lol I was considering burn time to be from first full sizec log to just hot bed of coals. I will get a stove top thermometer....what temp is needed to achieve secondary combustion? According to the user manual is says that keeping the primary air control closed(as you mentioned for secondary combustuion) can lead to creosote build up. Am I missing something here?

I think most stoves probably can achieve sustained secondary combustion around 450 degrees . . . but this is just an educated guess on my part . . . perhaps other folks with more experience with Hearthstones can chime in here.

The manual is partly correct . . . if you suffocate the fire by closing the air too much and the fire begins to die and just chug along and the firebox and flue cool down . . . sure . . . cresoote can be formed . . . however, if you get the fire going hot enough and are able to achieve secondary combustion you can dial down the air and the fire should remain plenty hot with temps in both the flue and firebox being fine . . . me personally I like to have both a thermometer on the stove top (to prevent over-firing and let me know when I can start turning down the air for secondary combustion) and one on the flue (so I know if my temps in the flue are getting too hot which could damage my chimney and when they are too cool and producing creosote.)

I think your burn time seems pretty good for the wood you're putting in. keep in mind that larger pieces will burn longer. You don't mention the diameter or width of the 12 inch pieces of birch. I think when you read about long burn times, those are people jamming the fire box full of dense hardwood (oak, hickory, locust, etc.), and those are with large stoves/bug fireboxes.

I measure a length of wood I've been burning and they are more like 15 inches long, 4-5in wide and 3-4inches thick(wedge, triangle shaped) and I meant say beech not birch as I typed before. Sorry.

I measured a length of wood I've been burning and they are more like 15 inches long, 4-5in wide and 3-4inches thick(wedge, triangle shaped) and I meant say beech not birch as I typed before. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.