Hello, new here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travlnusa

Nov 8, 2008
NW Wisconsin
Good evening all,

I wanted to thank you all for your help, although you were unaware of giving it.

We had been looking most of the summer for a pellet stove and I came back to this site over and over for everyone's feedback. I had one problem getting it all set up, but again came back to this site and found my answer in just a few minutes.

We ended up with the Big E, and are very happy.

Wednesday night we fired it up for the first time. I can not tell just how great of a job it is doing for us.

With the price of LP now dropping, I will need to do the math as far as a heat source goes, but the stove heats the house so much better than the furnace. We live in an old farmhouse, and the ductwork was jury rigged into place so we have never been real happy with it.

Last night we ran the stove on setting #1, it was 74 on the main level, and 68 in the upstairs bedrooms.

Again, thank you all.

Welcome and good luck with your stove.
When winter gets into full gear and cold I'm sure most fuels will start to go up in price.
We also love our stove, and will continue to burn pellets.
We have 4 tons for the winter.

Yup, the very best source for information on pellet stoves. We never would have made all the right choices we did and are so happy with if it were not for all the help we received right here at Hearth.com.

Happy heating!

Steve

Quote:

With the price of LP now dropping, I will need to do the math as far as a heat source goes, but the stove heats the house so much better than the furnace. We live in an old farmhouse, and the ductwork was jury rigged into place so we have never been real happy with it.

Same Here:
Lp yes
Old farm house yes
screwy duct work yes
stove heat feeling good yes yes yes

We need pictures though......to make sure it really exists :)

I will figure out how to post pictures later on. A few things we have seen so far:

1) No cold spots in the house as we have when running the furnace.

2) I am surprised how few pellets we are using. It is 25 degrees outside with a strong wind, and we are running on setting #1, keeping it about 69 on main floor and 63-64 upstairs.

I have the stove set up in the dining room. That and the connected living room are easy to heat. In order to heat the rest of the house I have to run a box fan blowing hot air into the kitchen and then up the stair case to the bedrooms.

Over time I will need to figure out a better plan than that of the box fan, as I don't want to hear that run all winter.

The master bedroom is over the dining room with a passive (read grated hole in the floor) grate. I might want to make that bigger, and add one to the bedroom over the living room.

Why, o why, did I not do this sooner?

In reading other posts, it would seem that I am lucky with the pellet pricing and availability. I am paying about $210/ton and just about everyone and their mother has them for sale.

Thanks

The old barn we own is finally warm after buying our stove last year... good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.