Hello

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmiller164

Nov 27, 2014
Ohio
Hello all.
Recent reader first time poster.
Winter is starting to show its head in ohio, at least the worst of it. I've recently installed a harman p35 insert in my house. Single story, about 1500 sf. It's been cooking for about a solid week now (installed myself. Took longer than expected for an inspection) I've went through about a bag to a bag and a half a day set on 65 degrees on stove temp mode. From what I can tell that's about right on par. It's kept the main family room and kitchen at a comfortable 70. Dropping down to 65-68 as you go back the hall to bedrooms.
Today my BIL told me to try using my central air (located in the attic) to recirculate the air to other rooms of the house with the just fan only setting. Only been trying it for a few hours now. Anyone else had luck with this method?
Thanks in advance and really enjoy reading what you folks have to say here, a lot of useful information.
Tyler

Welcome to the harman gang.nice choice on the p35. I use my central fan to distribute the air as well but cool air on the floor get several complaints from the family so what I've been doing is turning up the temp a bit on the stove so it's a little warmer in those other rooms leaving the stove fans on high seems to work better that way.

image.jpg

Reactions: Big papa
Looks great!! Nice job

Another thing that I did was run the temp probe to the hall way and fished it up through the wall put it right beside the furnace thermostat so I could keep the rooms off the hallway a little warmer.right now I'm running on room temp manual this keeps the house at 1 degree of my setting so not getting too hot and seems to be more efficient on pellets when it warmer out.when it gets colder I will switch to stove temp like you

Another thing that I did was run the temp probe to the hall way and fished it up through the wall put it right beside the furnace thermostat so I could keep the rooms off the hallway a little warmer.right now I'm running on room temp manual this keeps the house at 1 degree of my setting so not getting too hot and seems to be more efficient on pellets when it warmer out.when it gets colder I will switch to stove temp like you
Right now I have my probe off to the side of the stove about 5 feet. Not quite ideal, but gives an ok reading till I get everything all figured out. As of now the recirculating fan is losing a few degrees back to the bedroom, leaving it about 64. I've got all the baseboards off tonight to see what the stove can do. I'm home alone tonight. (Significant other is off with her sister black fridaying, I refuse to partake) so no complaints if it gets a little chilly.
I can't take all the credit for the stove installation. My brother helped quite a bit, he's a contractor so he had insight on things I would've overlooked. The tile was all him. I am not a mason by any means.

Yea I would definitely shut down the other heat sources and stretch out the stoves legs see what she can do after all the idea is to heat as much as you can with the stove as it is cheaper. If you get things set right your stove should have no problem heating 1500 sqf as long as your home is tight insulation windows etc

If you ac ductwork is in the attic I doubt it will work. The heat loss is to great. My duct is also in the attic and in cold weather the temperature actual drops in the house when running the fan. It's very well insulated but it still doesn't work.
Ron

Reactions: becasunshine
If you ac ductwork is in the attic I doubt it will work. The heat loss is to great. My duct is also in the attic and in cold weather the temperature actual drops in the house when running the fan. It's very well insulated but it still doesn't work.
Ron
I didn't really gain much overnight, lows got into the teens outside....... Would insulating the duct work help any?

Welcome to the Harman family. Your stove setup looks great! It will take a bit of playing around to figure out the best method of circulating the heat, but there are plenty of great people here to help you out!

My ductwork is insulated with an r5 ductwrap and covered over with r38 blanket. Because the air temperature is so low the temperature out still drops and the result is nothing or less.
Ron

Reactions: becasunshine
Status
Not open for further replies.