Hello...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lauras

May 18, 2008
Michigan
I just found your site and I've been looking around trying to find information on a wood stove I'm considering.

Has anyone had any experience with a Kuma Tamarack?

We need to buy a wood stove to replace our oil heat which is becoming too expensive. We already have an old cast iron cook stove in our kitchen but it doesn't easily get the heat to the rest of the house and it is very inefficient. I am very open to suggestion for a wood stove that will heat approximately 1500 sq feet. I want to avoid anything that will require much in the way of replacement parts. I am not fussy about looks, I just want something that works great and lasts!

Thank-you,

Laura

I have seen these and talked to people that use them. They are very heavy duty - made by a small manufacturer who cares about quality, etc.

They seem to be more modern versions of the old Fisher style, and based on the construction and weight I would guess these stoves will outlive me (that means maybe 30 years more!).

It appears to be a simple budget stove, but seems to be fairly ordinary, much like the Century stoves with 3/16" sides, 1/4" top. At 1.7 cu. ft. I'm thinking it is a tad small for 1500 sq ft. in Michigan. In the Kuma line perhaps consider the 2.3 cu ft Wood Classic?

For comparison stoves I'd also look at the Englander 13NC, Drolet Classic EPA, Pacific Energy Spectrum and Napoleon 1400.

So many stoves out there, at least you have all summer to look. Make sure you have your wood supply ready and seasoned to go. Go through the ratings section here and look at all your local hearth shops. Any EPA stove will pay for itself in time so find the stove you like the looks of best and go for it.

Thank-you for the fast replies. I will look into the stoves mentioned and I'm glad to hear the stove I'm considering is made from a good company.

I appreciate the reminder to get wood ready. I know how difficult it is to keep up on a supply when we don't have much seasoned wood stored.

-Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.