hello!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NitroBobby

Oct 19, 2008
North West Hills of CT
hello all. i just found this forum after searching the internet for info on my new stove. my wife and i just bought a house here in NW CT and it has a Harman Oakwood stove in the family room. so far so good i guess. i've burnt a few loads so far and it definitely puts out the heat, once i get it going. i've noticed it takes a while to heat up but once it does, it does a good job. i am noticing a lot of build-up on the glass. i'm searching through the forums now for info on whether this is normal or not, also on how to clean it up. it seems like there's a lot of variables involved in the burning of wood. i think that one issue i'm having is moisture content. i think the wood i got wasn't really as seasoned as advertised. there are small cracks in the ends of the wood, but i get a lot of smoking and sizzling when i light it. so i'm thinking that the moisture content is a little high. i'm learning as i go. i like it so far and i stand to save a bunch of $$ since my back up is an oil fired boiler (which we still use for hot water). anyway, i just wanted to say hi and express my gratitude for the seemingly endless supply of information that i am finding on this site. thanks.

kgb

Welcome KGB :). Nice stove! It sounds like you have the correct diagnosis. Try to get some dry wood, maybe a few of those supermarket bundles. I'll bet the stove behaves well. If that is the case, you'll have to figure on how to get that wood drying as soon and as best as is possible.

PS: Just checking, did you get the manual for the stove?

thanks for the quick reply.

yep, i got the manual. actually the sellers were great in that respect. we got manuals for pretty much everything in the house (dishwasher, stove, fridge...)

i've got the wood stacked with a tarp over it now. hopefully it dries a bit more as we get into the heart of burning season.

we're also getting a pellet stove in the basement. that will be here in December. hopefully the pellet stove will supply our 'baseline' heat and i'll use the wood stove for that extra 'chill remover' during the heart of the winter.

If you can stack the wood in single rows covered only on the top and orient the stacks so that the prevailing wind can blow through them, that should help.

The wood needs to get air through it. Some people bring a weeks worth into the dry house a week ahead of time in order to dry the pieces out better. Splitting them in half will expose more surface area and will hasten drying too.

Which hills are you in? I used to live in the Berkshires. Nice country.

that's good advice. the wood is stacked in 4 rows with about 8-10 inches of space between them and they are only covered on top (a little on the sides, but only as far as the tarp hangs down). the idea about bringing a week's worth in is a great idea, i'll definitely try that. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.