Helmet Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I like my helmet but the mesh faceguard has broken (no, it wasn't caused by kickback):

PH5uVQ1.jpg

I'd like to replace just just the shield, but I doubt that's possible.

I see I could get a new one of the same type from eBay for $42 but I wonder if I should spend extra and get a better quality helmet.

Suggestions?

I've replaced a few faceguards and I always find it's cheaper to buy the whole unit on sale. I get the cheapie ones from Tractor Supply @ $25 on sale. My theory is that if I get hit on the head by something that destroys a cheapie helmet, I'm probably gonna be dead anyway if I had bought a better one.

I've replaced a few faceguards and I always find it's cheaper to buy the whole unit on sale. I get the cheapie ones from Tractor Supply @ $25 on sale. My theory is that if I get hit on the head by something that destroys a cheapie helmet, I'm probably gonna be dead anyway if I had bought a better one.
;lolBut then again, you would NEVER KNOW.;lol;lol

Elvex - vented top.

A little googling shows that a lot of people like the Rockmans.

Do you think that the face shield offers and protection if there was kickback and the chain came up at your face? That would be my only reason to upgrade.

A little googling shows that a lot of people like the Rockmans.

Do you think that the face shield offers and protection if there was kickback and the chain came up at your face? That would be my only reason to upgrade.

It's about the same as all the other common, mass market face shields (Stihl, Husq. Peltor, ..) Better than nothing for kick back, but, I wouldn't count on it alone to protect my face. The best protection is prevention.

Status
Not open for further replies.