Help! 30-nc owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Hello all, again I ask for your great wisdom. I have just installed my Englander 30-nc. I'm wondering if I have a draft problem, its quite difficult to get a fire started. I need to leave the door cracked open for quite a while. Also once it is going, anytime I open the door more than 1/4 to add wood, plenty of smoke enters the room. I have a 6" pipe going into a 8x8 masonary chimney thats 15ft tall from the thimble. Something else that may help. When its windy outside, I can smell the ashes. I think its blowing back inside, I closed the damper but didnt seem to help. Am I going to need a draft inducer, or taller chimney? I do plan on installing a 5.5" ss liner in a month. Thanks in advance, I'll check back tonight.

If you're opening the door (assuming all air controls are open as well) and you're getting smoke out into the room, then you definately have draft related issues.

In my case this began happening last Feb. I have an Englander 13 (baby brother to the 30). Creosote had accumulated on the screen of my chimney cap so much so that it began choking off my draft. I simply got up on the roof and scrubbed the creosote of the screen and problem solved.

I'm not sure as to what is negatively impacting your draft though. I'm sure some others will chime in soon.

On that short stack, i think the liner will solve any issues if not just make them many times better. Why a 5.5 liner and not 6??

Sounds like negative pressure in your stove room. Either crack a window at start up or better yet install an outside combustion air kit and I bet it will eliminate the problem.

This could be a combination of issues. Opening a nearby window a couple inches is a good first check.

If opening the window doesn't make a difference. It might be related to the connector pipe. Can you describe the connector pipe assembly? Does it go up into a 90 elbow, then into a short connector pipe that joins to the thimble? If yes, how long is the horiz. run? The horiz. run needs to be pitched upward toward the thimble at least 1/4"/ft..

If this is a short exterior chimney, the issue could be a combination of several factors. An insulated liner, perhaps 2-45s instead of the 90 elbow and if needed, an OAK can fix the problem. But experiment a bit to isolate the issues as best as possible first.

Also, just checking, can we assume that the wood is fully seasoned and ready to burn?

"The horiz. run needs to be pitched upward toward the thimble at least 1/4"/ft.."

Maybe a little off this tread but how do you get the 1/4" pitch if using a non adjust. 90 and a T outside? Is there enough play in the connections?

I'm using the 5.5" liner so it will pass through my 6" thimble. I tried opening a door near the stove but didnt help. My home is foam sprayed insulation so I thought for sure opening the door would help. I'm hoping the liner will solve the problem, I may add a few tiers of bricks first to get another foot or so of height. Also I should note I'm 3/4 surrounded by tall trees. The stovepipe isnt sloped 1/4 per ft, never heard of that, the run is about 3.5ft. I'll try that first. Yes the wood is seasoned, burns ok once its going.

Greybeard, I would also think you will notice a better draft as it gets cooler out. I have the 13 and when first starting up I also have to leave the door cracked. I found that the door latch will rest on the locking piece so it is about 1/4" open. Just remember it is open or you could be like me and end up setting the smoke alarm off.
Don

My money is on the 10/2 rule. Is your chimney at least 2 ft higher than the peak of the roof?

its higher maybe not 2 ft though, checking a few things this weekend including 2ft over

Status
Not open for further replies.