Help a new guy get started.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seldomseensmith

Jun 26, 2010
Northern New Mexico
I joined this site yesterday after reading posts from the pellet stove forum for a few hours. I can see that there is a lot of experience here and I would like to learn from you guys. I just bought a 2500 sq.ft home in northern NM and am going to heat it mainly with a Quad CB FS that I bought from a local store in Santa Fe. The house won't have a backup furnace so I'm in this with both feet. My wife and 3 month old are counting on me for heat. Among other things. I am going to install mini split heat pumps in the bedrooms because they are far from the stove.
Are there any New Mexicans around here with any pellet source tips?
Should I back up the stove with a UPS and generator or just generator?
Is the Quad CB a good choice for reliable heat? From the research I've done it seems like a wise choice?
Any tips would be appreciated. I'll just be around reading past topics to try to bone up.
David

Welcome to the forum.

There are quite a few members who have Quad CB units, and most seem to like them and have relatively few problems. Did you buy the stove after looking around here for info, or before? What other stove makes were available to you?

As for pellets, does the dealer you bought the stove from sell pellets? if so, what brands?

As for the question of whether you need a UPS and/or a generator for the stove, if you have the $$, the best choice would be to get both. Otherwise, I'd just get a generator.

Is the logic on the UPS to protect the electronics by using nice clean power vs. the generator?
No I just found this site last night so I bought the stove based on other data from various sites.
I will try to find out from my guy which brands of pellets they have. Didn't realize until last night that the production varied so greatly although it makes sense. I hope I can get some reasonable stuff here and at a decent price.

seldomseensmith said:
Is the logic on the UPS to protect the electronics by using nice clean power vs. the generator?
No I just found this site last night so I bought the stove based on other data from various sites.
I will try to find out from my guy which brands of pellets they have. Didn't realize until last night that the production varied so greatly although it makes sense. I hope I can get some reasonable stuff here and at a decent price.

Well, it depends on the generator. What you want is a genny that puts out "clean" power that have pure sine waves, not the modified or "square wave"....the motors on these stoves don't do well on those, and can cause the motors to heat up if used for too long.....the electronics are actually not affected like you would think. The right UPS might be able to "clean-up" the wave, but why not just buy a good genny to start with.

Normally people buy a UPS just so the stove will keep running just long enough to switch to generator power. If the stove uses a direct vent (straight out through the wall w/ no vertical pieces), the smoke can actually come back into the house if the power goes off. Do you know what your exhaust set-up will be?

As for the pellets you mentioned, I personally have never heard of those brands, but lodgepole pine/douglas fir typically make for great burning softwood pellets. That being said, most of the people on the forum usually recommend that you buy 3-4 bags of any pellet and test burn them before buying by the ton.....you don't want to get stuck with tons of pellets that burn poorly in your particular unit.

As for the red oak pellets, they should be good burning hardwood pellets, but again, test burn before buying in a large quantity.

What kinds of prices are they asking for the pellets?

If you use a generator I recommend Honda or Yamaha brand 'quiet' inverter generators. Cheaper brands may come with lots of cheap noise or unreliability or even damage your stove.

You may not need a generator if you have enough vertical stove pipe to draw out smoke when the power is out for a short while (hot air rises). If you think power may be out for more than a short while a well maintained generator is good insurance.

NEVER make a double male plug to energize your home! Instead, run an extension to your stove from sheltered OUTSIDE spot or have an electrician install a proper transfer switch.

Congratulations on your new stove, home and family!
Jay

PS, I'm considering making an indoor wall plug that goes to an outside male extension which would plug into my Honda EU2000i. Another thought is to have a 2" PVC pipe go through the wall for temporary cords. It would be stuffed with insulation with wall plates covering it.

Welcome to the forum seldomseensmith, there are also a lot of strange critters on here, pull up a chair and tell us all about your new digs, and be certain to post pictures of the install or some on here will say it never happened.

The folks telling you to try before buying large amounts of pellets are correct.

Nothing quite like dealing with bad pellets.

Your question about power backup was answered by imacman and Boom.

Welcome to the board. The CB1200 is a very good unit and a very reasonable price. If you have questions, just ask.

Eric

BTU said:
seldomseensmith said:
South and Jones: Made from Lodge Pole Pine and Douglas Fur

Heat Resource: Hard wood pellet made form Red Oak.

Two brands that look like they are available locally. Any thoughts?

S&J from WY...should be a decent pellet
HR from MI....burn before you buy tonnage of either brand

All pellets are NOT created equal and it's in your best interest to "try" before you buy quantity of anything to make sure you and your stove are happy .....

Also, check each year before you buy your supply. Just because a pellet was good/bad or right for your stove one year, doesnt mean it will be the next. Dies wear out, raw materials change, guys drunk in QC, etc

Welcome to the forum.... I almost bought the CB, but went with the Sante Fe... both are very good.

kinsman stoves said:
.....The CB1200 is a very good unit and a very reasonable price......

If Eric says this, then thats all I'd need to know.

seldomseensmith said:

Generally, a UPS protects from power surges and brown outs. The better units will do some cleaning of power, but that is probably not needed for a Pellet Stove Power Supply/Transformer. The other reason, as mentioned, is to allow the unit a graceful shutdown to prevent smoke backup in the dwelling.

Thanks for all the help. I am finding it amazing that you guys are finding people selling pellets this time of year. I have called several local people and they have almost laughed me off. Telling me its a seasonal item and so forth. I'm working with BTU in hopes that he can get us some quality pellets here. If anyone has any specific input into Santa Fe area pellet situation let me know for sure. I'm going to have my stove installed by a Quad pro. ands its a straight shot through a vert. pipe. I'm going to be asking a lot out of this stove so I'm trying to do my homework. Thanks again. David

Welcome....I have the CB1200i and have used it for the last two years as a primary heating source for a two story 850 sq ft each floor home. I did not have to turn on the oil monster in two years to heat these two floors and burned a little over 3 1/2 tons of hardwood and softwood pellets each year. The stove will take a beating but I am religious about keeping it clean. I have not had to replace any parts yet. I think you will be very happy with your selection. Don't forget to check out the pellet pig club!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.