help a new guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m_miller43080

Oct 25, 2007
ohio
First off this is a great site and i will hopefully be learning alot.

I bought my first wood stove last night off of a friend to heat my pole barn. It is a older Blaze King with the blower on the back. I know absolutely nothing about installing a chimney. The outlet on top of the stove is 8" but all the kits i have looked at have been 6". Im looking for the cheapest way to do the chimney. Do i need to have triple wall since im not going through wood walls? what options are out there.

Also how do i tell if its got a cat combustor int it?

Thanks in advance for any and all help, Matt.

m_miller43080 said:
First off this is a great site and i will hopefully be learning alot.

I bought my first wood stove last night off of a friend to heat my pole barn. It is a older Blaze King with the blower on the back. I know absolutely nothing about installing a chimney. The outlet on top of the stove is 8" but all the kits i have looked at have been 6". Im looking for the cheapest way to do the chimney. Do i need to have triple wall since im not going through wood walls? what options are out there.

Also how do i tell if its got a cat combustor int it?

Thanks in advance for any and all help, Matt.

Welcome to the Forums, we'll try and help you out.

First off, you should look at the back of the stove and find the data plate to get the exact model - then go to Blaze King's website and see if you can download a copy of it. If it isn't posted, go to their tech support folks and see if they can get you a copy. This is the "bible" for your stove and will tell you what all it's requirements are. It will also tell you if it is a cat stove or not, and if it is, how to work with and service the cat.

Metal Chimneys mostly come in two sizes, 6" and 8", newer stoves tend to use 6", but some of the larger models, and many older stoves tend to use 8", and some can go either way. The manual will say for sure, but the 8" outlet suggests that it may need 8" - unfortunately 8" is MUCH more expensive.

Triple wall is sort of an obsolete term these days, what you will need to at least go through the roof and for the part that is outside is what's called "Class A" chimney - some of this is insulated double wall, some has triple walls, depends on the brand, and doesn't really matter much which, except that you will need to stick with the same brand for the project. Depending on the length of the stack, you may need to have some Class A hanging down as well. Where you pass through any floors and / or the roof you will need a "support box" at one point, and "transition boxes" at the others.

From the stove to the bottom of the Class A, you will need "connector pipe" - this is the traditional stovepipe that can be either single or double wall. However you must go from connector to Class A in the same room the stove is, and stay with Class A for the rest of the run.

You should also check with your code inspector to find out what, if any requirements there might be for enclosing the pipe, or otherwise installing the stove in a barn. I know fuel burning appliances aren't allowed in a garage, I'm not sure what the rules are about barns.

Good luck,

Gooserider

Matt, sounds like you don't need anything fancy. You'll need to stick with 8" for that stove.

I'd like to realign the priorities though. How about the safest method first and then most cost effective? Would that work for you? If yes, describe the setup in detail. Stove location, flue length to roof and especially clearances to combustibles?

There is a Blaze King factory guy on the forum - you can probably get a manual from him - but BG and Goose are right - in this case, 8" outlet means an 8" chimney - it's gonna cost ya!

Some people consider getting another stove (6") because of the price diff - maybe you can sell that one!

A bit of a problem with Goose's post when he mentions an inspector...

That isn't an EPA stove is it? If not you may not be allowed to install it by the inspector.

Warren said:
A bit of a problem with Goose's post when he mentions an inspector...

That isn't an EPA stove is it? If not you may not be allowed to install it by the inspector.

True, but if it is an illegal install (no permit / no inspection, and / or in a non-permitted space) and there is a problem he'll potentially have have problems w/ the insurance companies, if the gov't types figure out he has it, he'd be forced to take it out, etc. Not saying I agree that he should have a problem, but the reality is that if a problem is likely the OP is better off finding out about it BEFORE spending a bunch of dough on the install...

(Note that pre-EPA's are allowed in some areas, not in others so it depends on where the OP is at)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.