Help a newbie out! looking to buy ASAP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlanotte

Nov 30, 2015
ohio
Been lurking for awhile and this is my first post. Heres my situation. I have an Englander NC30 and i need to install a liner 15ft down a 7in ID clay tile. I know that a 6in liner even un insulated will be tight but that is what my stove is calling for. I intend to insulate the best i can with a pour down. My question is whether or not going with a 5.5 square flex liner will be ok. My thoughts are the square shape will give me close to equal volume and actually give me more area to fill with a pour down. Im hoping to get as close to 0 clearance code as i can. Im trying to be as safe as i can while still performing a quality DIY install. Thanks

Sounds like it should work fine. A 5.5" sq liner will have ~30 sq in area. Just a tad over 6" round.

Aren't the dimensions for square flex liners the OD, not the ID? If so the ID would be 1/4" less.

OK. So the area would be 27.5".

That would have even less area. That chimney is right on the line of the minimum for the stove. Though nobody ever discusses that the actual hole in the top of the firebox under that six inch collar is exactly 5.5" diameter. I have great results with my 5.5" liner on my 30-NC but my chimney is 21' tall too.

That would have even less area. That chimney is right on the line of the minimum for the stove. Though nobody ever discusses that the actual hole in the top of the firebox under that six inch collar is exactly 5.5" diameter. I have great results with my 5.5" liner on my 30-NC but my chimney is 21' tall too.

Yeah i know its less but im just wanting to be able to have has much pour down insulation around the liner and tile as i can without effecting performance.

Just have the liners removed so you can use the right liner and insulate it properly. if you are not going to do that just go with a 5.5" round yes the square will have more volume but it will also have allot more turbulence which will mean the draft of the round will actually be fairly close to the square.

Just have the liners removed so you can use the right liner and insulate it properly. if you are not going to do that just go with a 5.5" round yes the square will have more volume but it will also have allot more turbulence which will mean the draft of the round will actually be fairly close to the square.
I will only have a flue height of 13ft, will that be enough with the reduced size flue?

I will only have a flue height of 13ft, will that be enough with the reduced size flue?
I would not reduce the flue size on that height no i would remove the clay and put in a properly insulated 6". I generally dont downsize unless it is 25' or more. Unless the manufacturer saws otherwise

I would not reduce the flue size on that height no i would remove the clay and put in a properly insulated 6". I generally dont downsize unless it is 25' or more. Unless the manufacturer saws otherwise
Well, thats not what i wanted to hear lol. Is it very difficult to remove the tile liner?

Is it very difficult to remove the tile liner?
If you have the right equipment and know what you are doing it usually is not. Every once in a while we find one that does not cooperate and we have to cut the liners and chisel them out. but that is rare

If you have the right equipment and know what you are doing it usually is not. Every once in a while we find one that does not cooperate and we have to cut the liners and chisel them out. but that is rare
So im in the process now where i have just finished making a hole in my chimney where the thimble will go for my stove. Is it possible to start shattering the tile thru this hole and let it crumble to the bottom? I do not have a cleanout for this chimney that is an interior chimney.

So im in the process now where i have just finished making a hole in my chimney where the thimble will go for my stove. Is it possible to start shattering the tile thru this hole and let it crumble to the bottom? I do not have a cleanout for this chimney that is an interior chimney.
yes but that wont get all of them you really need a breaker and rods to do it right

yes but that wont get all of them you really need a breaker and rods to do it right

Thanks, after measuring, i think ill be able to do a 6 inch round flue and have enough space to have a minimum of 1 inch of pour in insulation around the whole thing. Do you have any opinions on blanket vs pour down? I kind of like the idea of it strengthening my 100+ year old chimney.

Thanks, after measuring, i think ill be able to do a 6 inch round flue and have enough space to have a minimum of 1 inch of pour in insulation around the whole thing. Do you have any opinions on blanket vs pour down? I kind of like the idea of it strengthening my 100+ year old chimney.
doing pour in right takes some experience wrap is easy for most people to do. And your chimney is probably not 100+ if it has clay liners

Status
Not open for further replies.