help a noob

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepyj89

Jan 4, 2012
watertown CT
any idea what it is?
Untitled-3.png

Untitled1-3.png

The top picture is honey locust.......not sure about the bottom, might be a red maple....I'm on my phone so its hard to tell.....

It's FIREWOOD!!!

+2 maple. The top, on closer look, doesn't look like either Honey or Black Locust. I just cut and split a couple of each. Honey Locust would have those nasty "spikes" all over the trunk. Those things could punch a hole in armor plate, I hate 'em, but they scrape off without too much trouble and the wood is great.

the more I look at it (now that I'm on my laptop and not the smartphone) it looks like it may be norway maple. The orange/tan heartwood may be from cutoff branches years prior. I've seen that color in norways before. Thats my final answer.... ;-)

I vote maple, not sure type of maple.
Good wood either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.