Help A Novice Out With Stove Top Temps And Thermometer Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MF1635 Owner

Mar 6, 2011
CT
I have attached 3 pics of the stove top on my NZ3000. One of the inside stove top and two of the left and right side of the stove top. I have called Napoleon Tech support and was told to read it on the left side stove top because I have the blower duct entering the stove on the right side and the ideal temp is 450-600. OK

Well after a few weeks of trying to play with this thing there is a huge temp difference on the stove top depending on where you read it from. If you look at the inside stove top pic you can see the secondary burning tubes and all of the associated metal work that goes along with it. That also supports the baffles and insulation blanket. On the left and right side of that you can see that there is a dead space that continues up to the stove top where there is nothing just open space right to the stove top. now if you look at the left and right stove top pics you can see that there is a piece of steel that is right in line with where the secondary support and such is on the inside. This area is about the top 2/3 of the stove top and is where the blower ducting blows the warm air out of. The other half of 1/3 of the stove top on either side is where there is no insulation or baffle.

So here is the question: Where would you want to read that stove top temp from? I just took the pic of the inside of the stove top before I wrote this and the readings were:
1. on the left side where no baffle or insulation 512 degrees
2. on the left side where there is baffle and insulation 426 degrees
3. on the right side where no baffle of insulation 580 degrees
4. on the right side where there is baffle and insulation 460 degrees

I understand that there will be temp diff from side to side because of lots of variables and that is not my concern. My concern is the almost 100 degree temp difference within 1 inch left and right of the steel vertical shield on the top of the stove. If I am shooting for 500 degrees above the baffle and insulation the unprotected area could be over 600. What do you guys think? I am taking all of these readings with an IR gun.

Thanks

Attachments

• Inside of Stovetop.jpg
    Inside of Stovetop.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Left Side Stovetop.jpg
    Left Side Stovetop.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Right Side Stovetop.jpg
    Right Side Stovetop.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 192
I think that wood stoves require a lot less tuning than a Steinway and that the no baffle, no insulation location is the right place for the thermometer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.