Help About St. Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csst

Dec 26, 2010
Haverhill Mass
mass
I owned my St. Croix and problem im having i don't know much about these things at all?? i turned my unit on and its been running for about a total of 30 hours or so i clean it everytike i use it and never have it on low setting number 1 i always keep it at 4 but it seems my first problem is there a black soot forming along both sides of the glass that does wipe off with a paper towel but i don't think this is normal?? How do i fix this? Also it seems like my pelllets keep dropping into the ash tray and while its burning its overflowing the pellets and keeps dropping with into the bin on the bottom and sometime there a small flame with the pellets on the very bottom of tray? its almost like its calling for more pellets and it doesn't need them yet but still calls for them?

My guess would be that the stove is over due for a deep cleanining the symptoms you describe are typical dirty stove syndrome.Btw what model st croix due you own.

mnkywrnch said:
My guess would be that the stove is over due for a deep cleanining the symptoms you describe are typical dirty stove syndrome.Btw what model st croix due you own.

I agree. In addition, did you buy the stove new or used? How many bags have been burned since the last cleaning?

Its brand new the unit is about 2 to 3 months old and i burned about 3 bags total lifetime of the unit.. it's a St. Croix PRESCOTT EXL.. i'm using Green Team pellets

Please describe your venting starting at the stove and going to the vent cap outside.

Are you using an OAK?

Where is your damper set at?

What are you burning for pellets?

double post

Make sure your ash pan is closed tightly... be certain the ash pull rod under the burn pot is pushed all the way in... if either of those are not right you'll have an overflowing burn pot due to an air leak.

Set the damper to be open the width of a pencil...and leave it alone!

triple post....

See thats my problem i dont know what you mean by OAK? or damper? the pellets i use are green team Premium wood pellets if i took a picture and try to show you would that help at all or maybe i youtube video?

I do know for sure the ash pan rod on bottom is always all the way in that i do know.

Csst said:
See thats my problem i dont know what you mean by OAK? or damper? the pellets i use are green team Premium wood pellets if i took a picture and try to show you would that help at all or maybe i youtube video?

OAK = Outside Air Kit, this allows the stove to get its combustion air from outside of the house.

Damper = a device that restricts the amount of air that can flow through the stove.

First step in owning a pellet stove is to read the manual from cover to cover before even loading pellets and applying power.

Csst said:

The OAK is an outside air kit that gives the stove fresh air for combustion rather than relying on room air...

The damper is on the right side of the stove at the back... it has a lever which allows you to adjust how far it's open... put a pencil in there and close the valve on the pencil...

ok i will do that now i did read the whole manual but some of it i just didn't understand i read the whole thing

Csst said:
ok i will do that now i did read the whole manual but some of it i just didn't understand i read the whole thing

That's OK... when I bought my stove the salesman offered to explain everything but I knew better... until I needed to call a service tech because I was having the same problem as you.... my ash pan was loose and I had screwed with the damper....

Are you saying put a pencil up against the stove and turn the lever towards the stove until it hits the lever? and that's it?

Also just today i ran the stove for about 4 hours and there was soooo much ashes and tons of pellets that were dropping into the bottom that were being wasted?

Csst said:
Are you saying put a pencil up against the stove and turn the lever towards the stove until it hits the lever? and that's it?

Also just today i ran the stove for about 4 hours and there was soooo much ashes and tons of pellets that were dropping into the bottom that were being wasted?

the small hose is your OAK... pull it off of the stove... you will see a small plate/valve inside of the pipe that the hose attaches to... insert a pencil then close that valve onto the pencil and pull out the pencil... that adjusts the damper which regulates how much air the stove receives to burn the fuel...

When you finish what kooser told you to do, please describe your venting starting at the stove and going to the outside cap.

Yes, that's what he wanted you to do.

EDIT: Thanks Smokey...never saw the additional operation manual on the left side of the download.....my apologies to St. Croix

imacman said:
Yes, that's what he wanted you to do.

That said, I just looked at the owners manual for that stove. That has to be THE worst manual I've seen....it says NOTHING about how to start or adjust the stove....not even any troubleshooting info....terrible!

Is that the installation manual you found imacman?

That's what i mean i read the whole book and it stinks!! i love the stove but i have to say the manual not the greatest!! Also i want to take the time to say thank you for helping me with this i really want to figure this out...
anything else i should do now?

There are 2 manuals there is a Owners manual and a insulation one im talking about the owners one its not the great it has some info but not much

Status
Not open for further replies.