Help advising friend with stove selection!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CtPaul

Burning Hunk
Sep 16, 2011
CT
Hi guys,
I need a little help giving advise to a friend of mine. He has an 1800 sqft raised ranch in CT. I'm guessing 70's-80's era insulation. He wants to replace an old wood stove that is located on the lower level of his house. He is in the market for a free stander with a low price point. I told him to consider reliability and parts availability . I suggested the Englander brand based on comments I have read on the boards. I'm looking for advice on other brands to consider. Or any comments / tips that may help in his search. I told him about all the info on this board but he isn't forum savvy :)
Thanks in advance!

How large of a wood stove is he feeding now? A push to upgrade the insulation is the fastest payback in home heating.

Reactions: jtakeman
Bio I agreed insulation will give the best ROI.
I'm not sure what wood burner he is using. I will check it out.

Hi guys,
I need a little help giving advise to a friend of mine. He has an 1800 sqft raised ranch in CT. I'm guessing 70's-80's era insulation. He wants to replace an old wood stove that is located on the lower level of his house. He is in the market for a free stander with a low price point. I told him to consider reliability and parts availability . I suggested the Englander brand based on comments I have read on the boards. I'm looking for advice on other brands to consider. Or any comments / tips that may help in his search. I told him about all the info on this board but he isn't forum savvy :)
Thanks in advance!

IMHO the Englander line doesn't have a stove with enough power. Gonna need a big stove to fill the need here. Preferable one that will duct some of the heat upstairs. Enviro Maxx/Maxx M, VistaFlame VF-170, Drolet Eco -65 or the Enerzone Euromax. The Drolet gets my vote due to its economical(AKA cheap) price. Otherwise I'd steer him toward a furnace like the Fahrenheit Technologies Endurance Or St Croix Revolution.

Whats his present heating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.