Help again oh great wood Gods!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thank all of you, My thought's exactly on this treeo_O I am by far a tree expert, but for the most part I know most of what I'm taking home. This one has really got me stumped, "no pun intended":rolleyes:

Reactions: ScotO
I'm thinking that is a hackberry too, guys. While there isn't a lot of "wartiness" to the bark on Dave's tree, there is some. And those leaves and fruit are NOT beech.

I don't think the small green thing is a fruit. I think it is a small and/or deformed leaf. Could this be a White Alder which may have been planted as an ornamental? White Alder is a commonly planted tree in California. It has smooth bark, I assume the wood is white, and the leaves look a lot like the leaves in the pics. I have never seen a White Alder here in the east, but it would probably grow here if someone planted it. Any of you western guys recognize this tree?

White Alder is a commonly planted tree in California.
Yeah, but this is from South Jersey. I doubt you'll find any alder of any size there, planted or otherwise. The only eastern native alders I know are shrubby: nowhere near as big as the trees these chunks must have come from.

Yep, Hackberry. We have it around here but I haven't burned any yet. Sometimes it's very warty, other times pretty smooth like that. Leaves have got the classic three main veins and uneven bases. Supposed to be a decent, middle-heat wood. Stack 'er up! ==c

The leaves in the first leaf pic look to be compound (not Beach), and the twigs in the same pic have a poplarish look. I'm stumped but I don't think Beach.

I brought a piece of the wood in for an old guy here at work to look at, He's say's he's certain it's a basswoodo_O:confused: You guy's know of this tree ;?

The leaves in the first leaf pic look to be compound (not Beach), and the twigs in the same pic have a poplarish look. I'm stumped but I don't think Beach.
I'm not seeing a compound leaf there....

I brought a piece of the wood in for an old guy here at work to look at, He's say's he's certain it's a basswoodo_O:confused: You guy's know of this tree ;?
If it was Basswood, it would be a big step down in BTU. Fortunately for you, it's not. ==c

I looked it up on the web, I agree with both of you;ex.... He's in his mid 70's, I'm not going to argue, he means well. Although he's an old carpenter, I figured he knew his wood ;hm

I can guarantee you that is certainly NOT basswood.....I'm almost 100% certain it's hackberry...which is a good thing. Hackberry is way better than basswood.....

images

sYcamore I THINK
Woodstacker, this past winter, I was able to obtain about 2 + cord of sycamore, It's close but not multi colored and "MUCH" heavier and whiter in the middle. I'm getting the sense from the gang it's Hackberry. I just got done reading about them, there a decent midrange burning wood.
In two years it'll be BTU's:) Oh, and welcome to the forums!;)

100 percent: Not a basswood . . . or pine, spruce or fir. Hehheh.

At first blush looking at the bark I was thinking American beech . . . the smooth, gray bark and even the "pock marks" and "warts" are consistent with some of the beech I see up this way . . . but the leafs are all wrong. Not beech . . . at least American beech.

Came home from work today, got pallets and started to split and bring in yard, "NOT"!!!..... the fiskars "bounced" off for the first 6 hits, HOLY S#IT:eek:.... I can't wait to get my splitter done, it's the $$$. If any one has more comments on what it is, again it's pure white, almost like a Holly tree, but it's dense;ex The one picture is the full tree load, and for what it's worth, I found a small "pea" size fruit on some of the twigs. Dam is this stuff hard_g

Attachments

• DSCN0944.JPG
    DSCN0944.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0945.JPG
    DSCN0945.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0946.JPG
    DSCN0946.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 92
"NOT"!!!..... the fiskars "bounced" off for the first 6 hits, HOLY S#IT:eek:
That's why they call it 'HACKberry.' ==c Actually, I've never split any so I don't know....might be one of those that splits better if you let the rounds sit a while. Sounds like it's really wet!

for what it's worth, I found a small "pea" size fruit on some of the twigs.
That's why they call it 'HackBERRY.' ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.