HELP?!?! Black Bart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red235

Oct 30, 2007
NJ
Hello. We bought a house that has a Black Bart stove. It is a model 3200 and says that it is for wood or coal. It has some sort of a fan attached to the back - that I don't think works. I thought that this was going to be great for helping with heating costs - we have oil heat- but it doesn't seem to heat much. I've had regular fireplaces that have put off more heat. I'm going to try and attach the pics that I took. Also - there was something inside the stove that is in a seperate picture - I have no clue what this thing is. How do you use coal?

As you can tell, I am completely clueless about this thing so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
red

okay - well i took pictures but now my camera isn't connecting
i thought the thing inside was a grate at first, but it is solid - maybe to put coal on?

Sorry to say, it's old and pretty junky. Was built back in about 1980 as a "value" unit which sold for less than the big brands - about $500 new. Without the fan it will do little or nothing. You can get parts for fan and thermostat, check with Stove Parts Unlimited at:
https://www.hearth.com/prod.html (bottom of page).

You cannot use coal. That was BS in their advertising. The thing inside is probably firedogs (grate) to allow some air under the logs. -

I bet you can get a little cash at the scrap yard for that stove; the price of scrap is up. Then you can continue to look at wood/coal/pellet stoves and reviews on this site. Make a choice that is for the fuel you can most easily handle/afford. Buy a GOOD stove and it will last you for years and years; when oil is just going to go up and up. Good stove, good heat, managed cost and this site to help you get use to it; what more is there? Oh year, the great atmosphere it brings to your home! Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.